Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 H&R Coilovers on a C2 - What parts to use?

Martin996RSR

I've put the rears on - they were a piece of cake. The fronts are another story though.

The coilovers I bought had no top spring retainers (presumably they were a part from the car originally rather than something that came with the coilovers). I've bought new standard C2 top mounts, but I'm unsure what I need to put between the top of the spring and the top mounts. There are various bearings and spacers to be found in the parts diagrams but I'm not certain what combination of parts I need to make the stock top mounts work with the coilovers.
Can anyone help please?

Afternoon Martin,

Not at my desktop but you basically need all the standard parts between strut and suspension turret, so 2x concave retaining washers (1 under and 1 above turret) 1x standard top mount and 1x strut top bearing which is a plastic/rubber upper and lower cases, 1x bearing cup, 2x metal track pieces plus the ball bearings in their cage.

Built up

So from the top.

1) 1x Main centre top nut.
2) 1x washer. Like this.

3) Standard Top mount.

4) Top cup that bearing assembly fits up into before strut top. 1 per side. The parts next to pistons in my pic. They're placed upside down in the pic.

5) standard top mount bearing assembly. All the parts in this pic that aren't brake parts or the two cups. Two sides worth pictured. Self explanatory. Upper&lower plastic case, upper&lower metal tracks/rings, bearing in case. Clean out and repack with grease.

6) another washer as per number 2.

That's it. Old bumpstops and bellows get binned usually.
Then your spring sits upto the strut top bearing.

:thumb:

I hope that makes sense. Not the best pics or description.

PS you'll also need 3x strut top nuts for new strut top.

Also the black washers (4 in total) are £30 each plus vat. Crazy.
You hopefully have your old ones.

Had to edit to add number 4.

Brill! Thanks so much.
So the GT3 coilover springs will sit nicely in the bottom of the bearing? I guess what I'm asking is are the springs the same diameter?

Also I have a lot of space between the top of the spring and the bottom of the top mount at the moment. Far more than those parts will take up. 47mm to be prescise. Am I going to need spacers? Or perhaps a spring with a longer uncompressed length? I think with the bottom spring perch wound all the way up I'll only be able to take up about 15mm of that.

Evenin' Martin,

Yes good points. We've only ever fitted new coilovers designed for the C2.

A quick google shows lots of info on Renlist etc. With guys using either, or when it comes to GT3 or C2 topmounts.

I've just measured mine for you. See below.

So if the ID (inner diameter) of your GT3 springs is about 70mm it should work. If not you'll need GT3 spring hangers (the cap for top of spring).
Whether or not more parts are then required I don't know.
Download both Part files for Carrera and GT3. Very useful for comparing things

Haven't a clue on the length though although I know with our KWs and Ohlins it doesn't take much lowering of the spring platforms to completely slacken off the spring. So maybe just get your topmounts on and everything together and trial fit a front one.

Also having looked at my pile of parts again, on the C2 you simply have topmount, then the bearing assembly, then spring.

Broken down it looks like this.
From left to right would be top to bottom when assembled. -

Good luck. I hope you fathom it out. :thumb:

Thanks for all that, you've prevented me from immobilising myself by taking it all apart without the right parts to put it back together.
The internal diameter of my coilover springs is 60mm, so I'm clearly going to need some spring hangers. As I'm on a budget the quest is now on to find a universal part that's cheaper than the £50+vat that D911 are asking per side.

Or pehaps I could draw something and get it turned up in aluminium. That might be more cost effective as I have a pub aquaintence with a machine shop.

Thanks again for your help Marky, you've really been great.

Further research has revealed that GT3 spring hangers can only be used with monoball top mounts, meaning a custom collar to sit between the top of the spring and the bottom of the bearing assembly is definitely required. I'll have to draw something up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back