Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

new 981 s collected and driven today.

wilpert said:
is it worth it?

If it saves you over £585 over the 3 years on your Insurance cost then go for it...if not, then don't bother :judge:

I found that Insurance without the tracker to be cheaper...plus, if my car got nicked, then I wouldn't want it to be found :cop:

:thumb:

If it saves you over £585 over the 3 years on your Insurance cost then go for it...if not, then don't bother

I found that Insurance without the tracker to be cheaper...plus, if my car got nicked, then I wouldn't want it to be found Cop

Thumb

Good points - I will take this up with my insurers - Im doubtful that I will get discounted that sort of money but if they did then I might take it up.

I dont live in a big car theft area and my drive is locked at night but I travel around London Village quite a bit and end up in some unsavoury areas at times, plus I have been the victim of a carjacking a few years back in my old Mercedes Sports Coupe. I would have loved for them to get caught by being tracked. Sadly i got the car back damaged and insurers fixed it up.

wilpert said:
I have been the victim of a carjacking a few years back in my old Mercedes Sports Coupe. I would have loved for them to get caught by being tracked

I'd pay £585 just for that
baseballbat.gif

HSC911 said:
wilpert said:
is it worth it?

If it saves you over £585 over the 3 years on your Insurance cost then go for it...if not, then don't bother :judge:

I found that Insurance without the tracker to be cheaper...plus, if my car got nicked, then I wouldn't want it to be found :cop:

If I'd activated mine, my Insurance would have gone up :eek:ut:

If I'd activated mine, my Insurance would have gone up

Thats barmy.

So what Im struggling with now is, why didnt I get one of these with my new 2016 981, (the one i sold a year ago)

and is this something that comes as standard on a new or new ish porsche?

If you dont activate the tracker .. ie pay the subscription then might i suggest getting a dealer to deactivate the system .. you can leave the fobs in the glove box and forget about them if you wish .. but the batterys will go flat one day and then its possible for the immobiliser to kick in .. normally after a flat battery and its a recover to OPC im afraid .

Its pretty rare but it can happen ... once deactivated it cant .

wilpert said:
So what Im struggling with now is, why didnt I get one of these with my new 2016 981, (the one i sold a year ago)

and is this something that comes as standard on a new or new ish porsche?

They were a standard feature on higher value cars but an option on lower value models.

They where an option on the 981.

I had mine activated last year but am insured with classic line and they dont offer discounts for them so i did not bother renewing this year. They never offer discounts.

Well,

Im still waiting for vodafone to get back to me.
As stated, there is nothing that can be done without either permission from the previous owner or a V5 document.

Vodafone said they would call the owner and get back to me in a couple of hours, this was 24 hours ago.

So now there is another "slight problem" aaaarrrggh - when I collected the car, the salesman said the service book was in the glove box.
I saw all the stuff i needed, service invoice and V5 stuff plus a recent MOT carried out a month early as it was close to them selling to me so they put the MOT on the car pre sale.

BUT the service book and manual are not there at all. I called the dealers and they said they would get back, I'm keeping it very polite but they being a bit slow and I wonder if they have lost it. (or worse - never had it).

The car checks out fine and I'm not suspicious of the mileage or anything like that but I dont know what to do if they don't have it.

What are the options, find the original seller and get a replacement, or is it a big deal?

Cars a goodun and only done 3K tyres are mint and no signs of problems plus HPI was all Ok etc.

Sorry its a long read but I'm a bit unsure, although I do love the car.

You can get by without the manual, but the service book showing history from new should be with the car or it could mean lower residual value. If the seller said it was there then they should provide a replacement along with a complete service history (If done by OPC's they may keep a record on their system which could be printed out). Also check with the original owner who should have it and may not have handed it over - I am surprised they had not contacted Vodafone to cancel their subscription to the tracker.

I spoke with Porsche East London. They did the original delivery check and sold the car to the first owner from new.
Then the owner had his first 20k service carried out at 2k miles last year, which I have receipt for, so the history is fine.

The dealer called me and apologised, apparently he sold the car 6 weeks ago to a trader, who then went on to change his mind and at that time he had the book and manual etc. They just cannot find it but they said they would keep looking and if no luck they will order a replacement of each book.

I don't want to make too many waves if it's a genuine mistake but I'm just a bit annoyed.

Re the tracker, I will drive it without the fob and they will call the previous owner, that should sort out the problem. It will encourage him to tell them he's no longer the keeper. (I'm thinking 2 am drive😂)

Manual pdf available here... http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-boxster-manual/table-of-contents

Re service book. Does that invoice have the clients number or email on? Probably call/mail that on Monday rather than 2am though..if not I like your other plan :floor:

Unfortunately those pesky GDPR rules mean everyone craps themselves re releasing contact details for previous owners now.....perhaps the OPC would call the previous owner for you if it is the one that had the service done with them?

wilpert said:
I spoke with Porsche East London. They did the original delivery check and sold the car to the first owner from new.
Then the owner had his first 20k service carried out at 2k miles last year, which I have receipt for, so the history is fine.

The dealer called me and apologised, apparently he sold the car 6 weeks ago to a trader, who then went on to change his mind and at that time he had the book and manual etc. They just cannot find it but they said they would keep looking and if no luck they will order a replacement of each book.

I don't want to make too many waves if it's a genuine mistake but I'm just a bit annoyed.

Re the tracker, I will drive it without the fob and they will call the previous owner, that should sort out the problem. It will encourage him to tell them he's no longer the keeper. (I'm thinking 2 am drive😂)

They're lieing as they did to me
Told me the car had full leather, but it only had partial leather to the seats
Told me it was under 2,000 miles and had done a 1000 miles more
Told me it was 1 owner and it was 2

I never saw any manuals which was the final straw so left it, as i've just waited 9 months to get a duplicate service book for another car

Hello Mark,

Interesting points that you make:

They're lieing as they did to me
Told me the car had full leather, but it only had partial leather to the seats
Told me it was under 2,000 miles and had done a 1000 miles more
Told me it was 1 owner and it was 2

I agree that they got stuff wrong, thats 100%
I feel that most of it was a lack of knowledge as opposed to lies but whatever the case I have a bit of a battle on my hands to sort our the books etc.

I asked about the leather and said was it extended and they said no its the normal leather interior - which in a black interior is fine for me (I had full extended leather before but that was a beige car so it needed it).

The mileage was advertised at 2k but yes it was nearer to 3 but that is not a deal breaker for me.

They showed me the log book and it said 2 owners but I'm pretty sure that they were misled by the previous owner, when I called Porsche East London to verify the facts, they told me they sold it to the previous owner 9the one who sold it to the dealership that we went to) when i mentioned the 2 owner thing, he said that odd we took delivery and sold it to Mr ??? he then said that it must have been one of the Porcshe guys as it was most likely used as a demo, so again no deal breaker for me.
The booklet thing is the only annoyance to me, as I will have to wait for Porsche to get one printed off and as you say, they can take a long time - apparently they do them in batches.

were you buying it to move it on - if so, then I can see 100% why you would not do the deal.

As a purchase for myself, I felt the price was good and it was only 9 miles from my house.

In some ways they even undersold it IMHO, they didnt advertise the Bose, nav and phone prep, sports steering wheel or sports chrono. I wonder if the salesman actually knew what these were.

I had a Sytner buyer do some searching for me and he came back that CAP clean (auction price) was 38k - so at 41k from a dealership (even a rubbish one) he said its a good buy.

All I need to do now is do battle re the booklets, i may argue a bit of discount for the aggravation but I wont hold out too much hope.

Oh and he did tell one more truth - he said he sold to a trader who didnt do the deal becasue the spec was not waht he thought - I.E. YOU

:D
hope I havent bought a bum deal but the car seems pretty good to me for the money.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back