Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speed Aweneness - self preservation

And the point is that it's a numbers game that if you wish you can mitigate by not speeding :thumbs:

kas750 said:
And the point is that it's a numbers game that if you wish you can mitigate by not speeding :thumbs:

Agree, however why would anyone drive a Porsche or any other high Performance Car if they remain within the speed limit at all times.

In that case may as well drive a 1 litre Corsa

Some areas will be on the ESN network this year, yes Airwave will be phased out but it will be a lot quicker than the 5 years being quoted.

I'm currently working on the roll out of the ESN network.

wildej said:
Some areas will be on the ESN network this year, yes Airwave will be phased out but it will be a lot quicker than the 5 years being quoted.

I'm currently working on the roll out of the ESN network.

Thanks for the info.

Im assuming that the ESN network will provide traffic cars with 4G which will enable the cars to communicate with the ANPR cameras?

Any idea when ESN be rolled out to the Police Forces in the South East of England?

Bikeracer1098 said:
Senoj said:
We all like to have a bit of fun on the road where appropriate. Trying to mitigate it with gadgets wont look great in front of the local beak regardless of wether its technically perveting the course of justice or not.
Now i know from personal experience that these type of fines are indeed means tested so im not sure how great a value these things will look in that context.
What are folks trying to achieve here. You want to avoid getting nicked unfairly? When is it unfair exactly? Its an odds game, over time it will even out.

Even a dashcam is potentially a self incriminating device...

Have an appropriate blast by all means as we all like to do but bin the gadgets and just keep your wits about youwould be my take on it.

Maybee so, however if there was an unmarked Police car behind you or you overtook one while having a bit of fun etc, you could easily find yourself in front of the Magistrates Court/Crown Court being given a castodial sentence.

So easily done.

Umfirtunately sometimes we don't realise the implications of our actions until it's too late.
Neither of the original post mentioned gadgets would save you from the unmarked old bill :nooo:

diverzeusy said:
Bikeracer1098 said:
Senoj said:
We all like to have a bit of fun on the road where appropriate. Trying to mitigate it with gadgets wont look great in front of the local beak regardless of wether its technically perveting the course of justice or not.
Now i know from personal experience that these type of fines are indeed means tested so im not sure how great a value these things will look in that context.
What are folks trying to achieve here. You want to avoid getting nicked unfairly? When is it unfair exactly? Its an odds game, over time it will even out.

Even a dashcam is potentially a self incriminating device...

Have an appropriate blast by all means as we all like to do but bin the gadgets and just keep your wits about youwould be my take on it.

Maybee so, however if there was an unmarked Police car behind you or you overtook one while having a bit of fun etc, you could easily find yourself in front of the Magistrates Court/Crown Court being given a castodial sentence.

So easily done.

Umfirtunately sometimes we don't realise the implications of our actions until it's too late.
Neither of the original post mentioned gadgets would save you from the unmarked old bill :nooo:

That's the reason that I was tempted by the Target Blu Eye, it would warn you of the presence of unmarked cars.

Using these devices would I believe fall foul of several laws as they effectively intercept radiocommunications that aren't general broadcast and fall foul of both the Wireless Telegraphy Act and RIPA.

Mind you OFCOM are more interested in prosecuting for broadcasting dodgy tv adverts than worrying about the radio spectrum unless it is to work out how much money they can screw out of somebody for it.

Best speed camera or traffic officer detector is MK 1 eyeballs :eek:

Unfortunately speed cameras see you a lot quicker than eyeballs see them, and at a far greater distance!

By the time you see a laser camera or your laser detector goes off, your speed has already been registered.

I was on M6 North recently around Carnforth/Lancaster J33/J34.
Steady 70mph. Long straight.

By the time I spotted a car on the bridge with a tripod mounted laser camera it would have been too late. He must have had his cross-hairs on my front number plate when I was almost a mile away from his bridge tripod-mounted laser camera.

Phew! I was at indicated 70mph so no issue. But a guy overtook me in lane 3 in a Jag F-type and he must have been at 90/95 mph.

The greatest risk is from unmarked cars and laser cameras.
Of the fixed cameras, I see so many people speeding in the Staffordshire section of M6 which is littered with HADECS cameras on the side of the pylons that catch all three or four lanes of speeding traffic. Perhaps people are not aware of these fixed cameras - even though they are now painted yellow from the previous camouflage grey.

I also see people speeding in the variable speed section on motorways with zones changing from 60 to 40 then back up to 50 to confuse motorists and sat navs still indicating 70 as speed limit on that section.

It has unfortunately become a minefield out there, and yes speed is associated with accidents however, if you compare percentage of speed related accidents to speed prosecutions I'll bet the difference is astronomical, money making from people that have a car, so can afford a quick fine easily???
me thinks :dont know: :?
Back to the op I have studied this a couple of times, both after a ticket😢
All I can say is be vigilant, use your mirror regularly, if you pass on motorway have a glance at the driver, are they the plod ? Get a good sat nav with fixed and mobile sites listed, update this often.
On Mway remember to look back up slip roads as you pass, that's where they sit like spiders watching the web :thumb:
And finally remember unmarked cars usually don't have private plates, often have tinted glass and are never too old.
Oh well that's my 2 peneth 😁👍
PS my license is currently clean🙄

Not a recommendation but I think this is an interesting niche in the Insurance market :?:

http://www.st-christopher.com/t-c.asp

As with all Insurance, read the small print if going for this type of policy. Very high speed can be called wreckless in certain circumstances and that's excluded on this one.

Note that a Hiscox policy through AIB may already include prosecution/loss of license cover :thumb:

EDIT: example loss of license only cover on a clean license is £84 for £10k cover from st-christopher

Bikeracer1098 said:
From what I've read the Target Blue Eye is totally legal as it does not interfere with radio frequencies. Instead it mearly identifies radio frequeancies used by the emergency services. It is now also available for £699. However most retailers still sell them for £899

Python are another company who do tetra detectors, they start at just £225 so quite a bit cheaper than blueeye.

diverzeusy said:
Unfortunately speed cameras see you a lot quicker than eyeballs see them, and at a far greater distance!

It has become a bit of an arms race but the law ties our hands behind our backs as well.

Confession Time.

I have just been caught. Spent over an hour in heavy traffic, bit of clear road, a bit of throttle and missed the bright yellow box :oops: 56 in a 40 = conditional offer for 3 points and £100 fine but better than a Band B penalty of 4-6 points or a ban up to 28 days plus a fine of 100% of relevant income, that would hurt. Still I am more annoyed with myself for not spotting the camera.

20 years of not getting caught, I just knew the car was going to get me into trouble.

I think the detectors are largely not worth it - if you have a device for opening your garage door which reduces the chance of a laser lock on, that's surely not an issue but you'd need to be prepared to go to court to prove it. Statistically you're better off without a front number plate instead.

I just use Waze as it's notifications are excellent. The days of speeding I think are in the past mainly due to the age of the dash cam.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back