Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alternator cable replacement ongoing. What''s this I''ve f

Cable

Cable was £90 from OPC Leeds.

Re: Guide

D5RSR said:
I used this as a guide:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/289189-3-8s-how-replace-alternator-cable.html

It's accurate and well written, thanks to the author.

I managed it with the drivers rear jacked up on a stand. I could wriggle under to remove the under tray (4 torx bolts) and then get to the connection box.

It's not difficult just a bit awkward getting alternator in and out, the rear bolt of the air compressor and working out the plastic clips. I ended up breaking them off as new ones come on new cable.

Order a new serp belt while your at it (£17 for a Conti Belt off carparts4less)

Cheers
Darren.
Great! Had seen this before! Removing the a/c compressor sounds a bit tricky, is that torq at the back hard to get at?

CarreraMonkey said:
D5RSR said:
I used this as a guide:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/289189-3-8s-how-replace-alternator-cable.html

I managed it with the drivers rear jacked up on a stand. I could wriggle under to remove the under tray (4 torx bolts) and then get to the connection box.

It's not difficult just a bit awkward getting alternator in and out, the rear bolt of the air compressor and working out the plastic clips. I ended up breaking them off as new ones come on new cable.

Cheers
Darren.
Great! Had seen this before! Removing the a/c compressor sounds a bit tricky, is that torq at the back hard to get at?

Not really difficult, just a bit of guess work.

Mines all back together now, just waiting for the new serp belt to arrive.

D5RSR said:
CarreraMonkey said:
D5RSR said:
I used this as a guide:

Cheers
Darren.

Not really difficult, just a bit of guess work.

Mines all back together now, just waiting for the new serp belt to arrive.

The weird thing is the belt was only replaced a month ago during a pretty hefty service. Ever since I've had the car serviced and various parts replaced, things keep failing!

Sods law I guess! :?:

Result

Result. New belt fitted, started ok from cold and again when warm. Starter spinning faster than I've ever noticed before.

After re-connecting battery I now have PSM and PASM failure alarms showing.
I need to investigate these now.

Thats normal after a battery disconnect .. just drive it over 6 mph and the fault will clear .

The steering angle sensor looses its base settings .. a quick drive and it remembers its old settings .

EDIT ..

Just to say this is not a relearn which needs to be done after a geo , that Has to be done with a tester for anyone thinking about this .

My car is back up abd running and wothput doubt, the startong is so much better. It's immediate, hot or cold! I've never had that before!

Anyway, since getting it back on the road, the engine seems to pull stronger. Perhaps its because I've driving a diesel X5, but I'm sure it feels more keen to pull.

Is this a placebo effect, or could the engine actually be running better from replacing the lead (and regulator in my case)?

deMort said:
Cough .. placebo .. Cough .. im sorry i have a cold :)

Thats fine! Its obviously the result of driving the rig for a week. Nice to be back in front of a flat 6!

valve

Mines should be 6cyl 24V but I can only get it to 13.8V on the meter.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back