Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

what paint treatment after full respray

Being an old timer I still use Turtle Wax and just of late been using the silver colour restorer.
My paint work is like glass with no swirls.
My business is opposite a paint place and detailer, he uses all sorts of weird and wonderfull stuff and still rates it. :thumbs:

I was told that the car ideally needs a couple of weeks for the paint to cure before having the film applied.

Yes yes yes

Sutton said:
I was told that the car ideally needs a couple of weeks for the paint to cure before having the film applied.

Correct. Less if it's been baked I believe

Copied from a professional source:

The cross-linking/curing process of most paints still continues for weeks/months after the initial low-temp oven baking, before it reaches full hardness.
For this reason, it's advised to steer clear of silicone-based products for up to 4 months.
If you seal/wax the paint with those types of products, the upper microns of the paint remain softer than they otherwise would.

Factory applied paint isn't subject to the same process, instead using higher temp baking (no plastics to worry about deforming!) so the curing is nigh on fully completed, and with cars sitting around for a while before being shipped to their final destination, what remains of the process to finish, has the time to do so.

Iirc, transport/PDI wax applied prior to leaving the factory/at the storage compound is non-silicone based, so this doesn't interfere with the process, but still protects the paint from the elements.

I'd leave at least 2 months, but use a high grade free-rinsing shampoo regularly to minimise the build-up of traffic grime.

C.

After waxing, if you are not going to the expense of ppf, you can apply ceramic nano coating to keep the shine water repellence etc.
+1 for max protect, they nano coated my car.

Mine is in the paintshop so reading with interest.....although I'm going for a colour change :)

So Chris has just done my wheels also, I had him supply new PS2's fitted and new Porsche centre caps which he sprayed to match the wheels, if you don't do that they can look rather odd.

uVU31Wr.jpg

Trev

Well the car is currently Ocean blue, a good colour but quite 90's...

My car is Cat d, so I took the view that I have a bit more freedom perhaps than a restorer of a non categorised car.

I didn't want to go completely off the wall as I'm not taking the car back to a bodyshell, I'm going for Mexico blue (336), a non metallic flat colour a few shades darker than Riviera blue.

I'm hoping it will look good on my Targa :)

Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
I didn't want to go completely off the wall as I'm not taking the car back to a bodyshell, I'm going for Mexico blue (336), a non metallic flat colour a few shades darker than Riviera blue.

I'm hoping it will look good on my Targa :)

Trev
That will look amazing! 8) ...a cross between these two below.

Turquoise Blue Targa:
786355d1386837475-riviera-turquoise-mexico-blue-picture-thread-775243d1383456147-aaaghhh-targa-top-disaster-img_0960.jpg

Mexico Blue Coupe:
img_0049_174.jpg

Good luck! :)

Yes indeedy that is it, in fact that very build inspired my choice of colour, as soon as I get some pics I'll post them up.

Trev

If I were you, I'd go for a ceramic coating like Gyeon Q2 or the likes.
I'm a massive convert to the stuff, despite having a cabinet in the garage full of expensive waxes!

I did both cars with Q2 four years ago, & the daily driver is only starting to show signs that it needs a top up now..
As for the porsche, it still beads the water off like the day it was put on there.
Look up YouTube for videos of how it works...

Clanky said:
If I were you, I'd go for a ceramic coating like Gyeon Q2 or the likes.
I'm a massive convert to the stuff, despite having a cabinet in the garage full of expensive waxes!

I did both cars with Q2 four years ago, & the daily driver is only starting to show signs that it needs a top up now..
As for the porsche, it still beads the water off like the day it was put on there.
Look up YouTube for videos of how it works...

Agreed - I have the Gyeon on my Golf and AMG - its amazing stuff.

Sutton said:
My car is just having a glass out respray with Ty. The car is now booked in with Topaz for paint protection film.
Your car didn't even need a respray - but it's going to look even better now! Be interested to see photos after it's all complete, and to get your feedback on the film, in terms of how visible (or not) it is. Good luck with it all :).

Folks, for those who are interested, see latest pics below, bumpers, roof and seat backs plus all the remaining small bits to be sprayed this Saturday:-

gW0p7Hu.jpg

UK5yviR.jpg

qNteNa5.jpg

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back