Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Finn's 997 4S progress thread - GT3 RS Wheels

The confidence you guys have to get in there and do things like this always gets me. Well played sir :thumb:

next up with the CAT off i went to change the tandem pump cover with an ACP aluminum unit and A4 stainless bolts. This job shouldn't have been too bad but unfortunately one of the old bolts threaded and i had to be the most inaccessible one. So to get round this i have to jack up the engine and remove the mounts i had just fitted, then with the engine off the mounts i could remove the large bracket that hold the engine to the mounts to give me better access to the dodgy bolt. This went well fortunately and the old bolt came out now that i could get square on it so the new cover went on, the bracket and engine mounts refitted.

Attachments

• mod4_325.jpg
    mod4_325.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,067
FZP said:
The confidence you guys have to get in there and do things like this always gets me. Well played sir :thumb:

thanks FZP but i am not convinced its confidence more stupidity, especially with the headers, they are a nightmare and i still haven't finished them yet as i am waiting to rent the Stomski jig from Poppopbangbang

Phil 997 said:
look forward to hearing your thoughts on the RSS mounts mate. :thumb:

I did actually mange to get these on my old car just before I nudged the central reservation in it and i loved them, they just tighten things up but i will give more of an update and review once i get this car back on the road as its been such a while i have forgot how good they are.

At this current time i have now got the CATS off, heat shields, thermostat and the old headers but 5 of the header bolts snapped. I have tried welding a bolt onto what bolt i had left but this didn't take that well and when turning just removed a bit more of the old bolt.

So now the car is still on the ramps with all of the bolt ground off and heads cleaned ready for the Stormski jig so i can drill out the old bolts. I have a rake of new parts, clamps and A4 stainless bolt / titanium exhaust studs ready to be fitted to get every thing back together and in tip top shape. To be continued!

Thefinn said:
FZP said:

thanks FZP but i am not convinced its confidence more stupidity, especially with the headers, they are a nightmare and i still haven't finished them yet as i am waiting to rent the Stomski jig from Poppopbangbang
I can relate to what you're doing. Corrosion turned a 3hr exhaust swap in to a 1.5 day ordeal.

Amazing stuff Finn. Great thread.

Especially getting into all the "Finn" icky stuff. :)

Would love to hear your on the RSS mounts too. I found them to make a noticeable positive difference I have still yet to fit powerflex transmission mounts... just not sure on wether i will anytime soon.

Would also be very interested your thoughts of the TB sans map.

I have finished almost!

Since the last update i have been working on the car when i get a chance doing an hour here and there. My neighbors must think i nuts laying on the floor at 10pm at night, they all keep asking what i am up to.

First up is a slide showing the prep i did waiting for the Stomski jig. I cleaned up the heads with a Dremel, dusting off all of the old crud with a fine wire wheel. Then i ground back the snapped bolts with the Dremel again and small grinding disks, i went through quite a few of them as you only have to look at them and they snap.

The bolts holding on the mufflers look pretty shot as well be seeing as i don't plan on changing them i thought i would leave as is until i need to change them, especially as i haven't seen a jig for this so could end up doing more damage than good.

Attachments

• h1_154.jpg
    h1_154.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,171
I tried a few avenues to rent a Stomski jig but nothing turned up so at this point i bit the bullet and forked out for a new one from Porsche Shop. I will rent this if anyone needs one.

Stupidly at this point as i could go no further with the jobs on the list while waiting for the jig to arrive i removed my exhaust tips to give them a clean. This again can be a pig as they were rusted on as once i finally got them free the adjustment rings inside the clamps just fell apart. Sorry i forgot to take photos of this in my haste.

Once they were off though i had heard that one good way to clean them was in the dishwasher so i gave it a go, thinking that i might need a new set anyway just because of the rings, so if it went wrong i would just buy a new set.

The dishwasher actually did an OK job but mainly only got rid of the mess on the inside of the tips, the outsides then got a good scrub with a sponge.

At this point i started another thread about the rings as my tips were looking quite good so i wanted to put them back on the car. Phil has a man "James" that is now making them in stainless but not for PSE cars, but after speaking to him i have sent my tips off to him so he can manufacture rings for PSE as well. Back to that later

Attachments

• h2_337.jpg
    h2_337.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,164
A couple of days later the new jig turned up, its a nice bit of kit but for the cost you would expect it to be. The only thing i would say is that they only supply 1 drill bit of each size and if you are tackling this job you will need more as they blunt and i snapped a few. You also have to order replacements online as they imperial sizes so you cant just nip down to Screwfix to get new ones.

Attachments

• h3_776.jpg
    h3_776.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,159
I then cracked on drilling the old bolts out, this is a pig of a job and took me a long time. I think that because i had tried to weld nuts on the old studs this toughen the old bolts making them even harder to drill as some were much easier than others. Access can be an issue as well so i took off my thermostat which was getting replace for a low temp one anyway and and slackened off the two pipes attached to the sides of the engine to give me better access.

I didn't get any photos of the drilling as its a bit hard to take one with a drill in the hand but here are a few of the jig in place. You need to keep moving the attachments to make sure that they are as close to the bolt you are drilling as possible, therefore you have to finish drilling and tapping each bolt in turn taking off the jig before you can start the next one which all adds time. Stomski also say that you might be able to pull out the old thread but i didn't find this and had to tap every bolt. If you are having a go at this try to drill the old studs as flat to the head as possible as this makes starting the tap easier.

In all i don't know how long it took to drill them all as i would have a go at one in the time available to me then walk away until i had more free time. As well as this i did have to order new drill bits when they snapped or blunted so again i would have to wait for them to be delivered. I all i think i went through 12 of the smaller size and two of the larger bits.

If i did this again and had the jig i wouldn't try to weld on the nuts as this just made it harder to drill the old bolts.

Attachments

• h4_740.jpg
    h4_740.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,151
once the old bolts were finally drilled i could start getting things back together. As i said in the last post i had already removed the old thermostat for access so the new one went back on.

Removing the clamp to the old tube can be a bit tricky but i found rather than pliers, mole grips worked much better as you can adjust them making them the size of the clamp open i.e. they are wide enough to capture the clamp tags when it is closed, then when you shut them it locks the thermostat clamp in the open position. This worked brilliantly and made them easy to remove and attach again.

In hindsight i should have bought a new clamp but this got missed of the order list with OPC and i was into the job so the old one went back on. It sealed up nicely and was as tight as when is came off, it just means i don't have another shiny new part under there. :sad:

Attachments

• h5_317.jpg
    h5_317.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,141
When getting under the car initially i noticed that my heat shields were one the way out so these got replaced as well.

I did order stainless nuts for these but got the wrong size, so the old ones went back on for now as i plan to do a plug and coil pack swap over the winter so they will get replaced when its back on the ramps next.

Attachments

• h6_226.jpg
    h6_226.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 2,135

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back