Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New noise!

bakerboy4s

Hi guys
Had car jacked up on drivers side for about 4 hours, dropped off jacks was going for a spin but unusual noise from passenger side front wheel, sounds like if you put stones in a hub cap, rattley, guessing it's the sheet metal plate on the hub, any other options or ideas welcome.
Cheers

SORTED, I always tell my customers to check simple things first, couple of pieces of grit were rattling around between the disc and disc guard,
Thanks for everyone's input.

Simple stuff first, are bolts torqued down correctly flat against hub in order

Yep they are torqued down but the noise is on the passenger side which I didn't take off!

presume not grumbly like a bearing? could have gone if it was on the way out and you canted the car right over - possibly

No it's more of a catching or rattle type of sound not a grinding one

Maybe piece of gravel between disk and inner plate?

I'll have to jack it up tomorrow remove wheel and look for anything obvious :x

I'd guess same as you, disc backing plate. They rot at the mere sight of water so if it was a bit rough and you've bent or knocked it, it could be loose.

They rot around the bolt heads and then flap about. I'm about to order 4 tomorrow...

depending on price. :grin:

You can put a washer over to clamp everything back together, if you want to reuse the ones that are on.

Hi Marky
Thanks for that, as before I'll take a look at the backing plate, no doubt if it needs replacing all the bolts etc will be corroded 🤬

Actually the bolts are normally pretty good. Its just the metal being really thin on the shield itself. This is most likely your issue.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back