Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

garage lift

Endoman said:
I'm in the same boat but with a bit more flexibility as the garage is huge.
The garage floor may not be up to a 2 poster but I don't want to clutter the space with a scissor jack. I'm looking at a recessed system like:-AS-7532B 3.2T Mid Rise Scissor Lift but the Ezyjack looks interesting. Will it lift high enough for an engine drop?

Attachments

• img_1777_157.jpg
    img_1777_157.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8,847
My garage is an old cow shippon. I'll have to do a bit of test drilling to establish the slab depth but I doubt it's anywhere near 250mm and the quality of the concrete unknown. I can get a short 2 poster which supposedly would be ok with a slab depth of 150mm and the posts are moveable. It will lift to 1.5 metres
http://www.sjrgarageequipment.co.uk/2-post-lifts/
Looks like a bit of digging out and relaying will be required whatever I choose. You never know the old slurry channel may have been filled with concrete or perhaps the cow ***** was just skimmed over.

another part of my thinking is to question how much lift height I need. if I'm working under the car, presuming I can't go high enough to stand up (garage wouldn't accommodate that) then most of the time I want the car at a comfortable height when lying on a creeper. so the portable lifts can do this and it's what I've had up until now with my MR1 lifting ramps. it's always going to be handy to go up a bit if tackling the engine coming out of course. i think ezcarlift looks like it might go high enough for engine removal at a pinch.

Height of engine is approx 65cm + engine jack or whatever. Removing rear PU will give more room. So I reckon around 90 cm lift unless you remove the inlet manifold. Perhaps less.
PS. TwinBusch site very useful and good prices considering made in Germany.

Endoman said:
Height of engine is approx 65cm + engine jack or whatever. Removing rear PU will give more room. So I reckon around 90 cm lift unless you remove the inlet manifold. Perhaps less.

so looks like neither quickjack(21 inch lift) nor ezcarlift(26 inch) would allow you to get the engine out cleanly... might be able to drop and then workaround a solution I suppose.

Choice is between Montford Mid Rise Car Scissor Lift and Twin Busch ® Low rise scissor lift TW S3-10 E.
Similar spec and price. I will recess the lift as sill height is 113mm and minimum height of both is 110mm and cover the center section with ali tread plate. Both have interconnecting bars and electro magnetic locks so a compromise as the independent type either have no locks or pneumatic locks. I don't want to rely on parachute valves or connect an air line. Just need to sort out what to do with the drive on ramps which will be superfluous
Twin-Busche site shows a 911 on the ramp but it looks like a Dakar rally one. Bendpak lift has almost the right spec but too expensive, no one else seems to do a mid-rise infloor lift.
The Twin-Busch site is well worth a look, very professional set-up, what you would expect from a German company.

I'm also looking for a lift to work on my 993, but I can anyone confirm you can carry out an oil change on either the Montford or Twin Busch as it looks like both would restrict access to the side drain hole?
Otherwise I have been looking at either BH Repairs or Jema Autolifts JA28000S, but I also have a seal to replace on my transmission which leaves a question mark on those too!

xbonick said:
I'm also looking for a lift to work on my 993, but I can anyone confirm you can carry out an oil change on either the Montford or Twin Busch as it looks like both would restrict access to the side drain hole?
Otherwise I have been looking at either BH Repairs or Jema Autolifts JA28000S, but I also have a seal to replace on my transmission which leaves a question mark on those too!

couple of vid's from this guy using a scissor lift on a 993 might give you an idea on this style of lift and what is blocked/clear - his is actually an old style one with end bars, so more restrictive than the ones currently on sale in UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owpqpwf5_AI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfbm4Rcc6x4&t=493s

Thanks wilsonny, for sure it looks safe to go with something like what 911% uses, but anyone purchased something like the twinbusch confirm if it works any better?
I was hoping endoman may have made a purchase, it's just the oil change that could be a challenge from what I can tell. I've not been able to find any confirmation either way, I did contact twinbusch and they feel it should be ok, I'm just concerned about side access for draining the oil etc.
https://youtu.be/WDrmLX6fSRc

xbonick said:
can anyone confirm you can carry out an oil change on either the Montford or Twin Busch as it looks like both would restrict access to the side drain hole?

Whilst I do not own either of these I have what I suspect is a Chinese copy of one or both.

There is no problem accessing the gear box filler or drain however it needs a little ingenuity to drain the oil from the catch tank on the 993 as there is too little clearance between the horizontal ramp and catch tank drain plug.

I normally increase the clearance between the 993 sill and horizontal ramp by 100 mm or so. (lift car on ramp, put blocks under wheels - lower car to blocks and ramps to ground - increase packing between ramps and sills )

That allows enough space to remove drain plug but of course there is not enough room to put a drain tray in.

So I then rig up some sort of gully to run the oil into the disposal receptacle. You could use a short length of half round guttering, I have used cardboard for the same purpose.

The last time I did an oil change I removed the pivoting access ramp (circlip and drift out pin) and ran the oil straight into the receptacle via the "guttering"

I use a 25 litre drum for waste oil and a 300 mm funnel to fill it. I then drop the car until it all lines up and remove the drain plug.

Whilst it may sound like a PIA to do, it has taken me longer to type this than it takes to do it and it is only a once a year job.

Thanks Kat1, If I understand correctly I would need to make at least 100mm space between ramp and underside of car to be able to complete oil change.
Like you say it's only once a year so maybe I shouldn't be so focused on that one issue.
Thanks again hope to post a picture once decided as my transmission seal leak is getting urgent!

Strongman lift has arrived.16 amp socket yet to be fitted and working out best position in garage. It looks very robust, certainly heavy but surprisingly easy to manouver with its jockey wheels.

Attachments

• 360carliftjg_187.jpg
    360carliftjg_187.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 6,056
  • 360carliftjg_187.jpg
    360carliftjg_187.jpg
  • 360carliftjg_187.jpg
    360carliftjg_187.jpg
Looks a good choice - very similar to mine. Absolutely love having a ramp (am wondering why I didn't buy one years ago). I have had the 996 in the air for the last 3 weeks, while I refresh the front suspension.

I have ended up putting some old worktop at either end of the ramps (so that when the car is over the lift, each wheel is on a piece of worktop). Its helped to give me more clearance/gap between the lift and the sills, otherwise it was a bit tight trying to fit the lift pads between the ramp and the sills

I tried the 944 on it today, still no power, and I need to do something similar as there is no room for the lifting pads. I've ordered a pair of Raceramps and will fabricate something for the front end. Eventually I want to recess it into the garage floor and cover the center section with a sheet of treadplate.

Work on 944 finished so put the 993 on, perfect fit. The ramps and chocks work a treat.

Attachments

• strongman_lift_114.jpg
    strongman_lift_114.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 5,579

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back