Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 GT3 engine failure

apollokre1d

Bit of a heads up before you give up 30 minutes of your life.... the root cause is sadly unknown and it features more of the courtesy cars than the actual engine failure.

An update below:

996ttalot said:
Already on second engine - first one failed after 260 miles.

Are you referring to the Swedish chap above or your self?

Unlucky I guess??

How do you rate Porsche's response?

And...

Will Porsche let you know the cause of the issue?

Sitting here in disbelief reading this thread. :eek:

After all the problems with the Gen 1, we were all led to believe that Porsche had sorted out on the issues on the Gen 2 4 litre. A failure so soon in Sweden and in the UK is a very shaky start. :nooo:

Hope we're not in for a repeat of the Gen 1 cycle of failure-replacement-improvement-failure-replacement-improvement-failure-replacement. :frustrated:

jotaking said:
Unlucky I guess??

And...

I have maybe 10-12 customers with them of which half have been on track a lot with no issues so I don't think this is similar to before. The fact that our failed so early could be just build or component issue - unlikely to find out. Porsche replaced without fuss in a few weeks. replacement now has several thousand miles with no issues.

As an aside I have lots of tuning requests on latest cars and we don't entertain this unless there is at least 1000 miles on the car precisely for this type of situation

Ken

996ttalot said:
jotaking said:
Unlucky I guess??

And...

I have maybe 10-12 customers with them of which half have been on track a lot with no issues so I don't think this is similar to before. The fact that our failed so early could be just build or component issue - unlikely to find out. Porsche replaced without fuss in a few weeks. replacement now has several thousand miles with no issues.

As an aside I have lots of tuning requests on latest cars and we don't entertain this unless there is at least 1000 miles on the car precisely for this type of situation

Ken

Do the mechanics/tuners that get hands on with these cars sense any difference in the quality levels of the materials in use? Eg a jockey can tell the quality of a horse with a little time in the saddle. Genuinely interested as considering a 991 GT car next year. :?:

I think youd be nuts to 'tune" a new GT3, i mean whats the point, is it that bad? What on earth could they have left on th performance table and even if there was a spoonful there is it worth having when thse things annihilate most everything anyways..

Senoj said:
I think youd be nuts to 'tune" a new GT3, i mean whats the point, is it that bad? What on earth could they have left on th performance table and even if there was a spoonful there is it worth having when thse things annihilate most everything anyways..
I was talking in general about tuning and engines and how many miles. We are tuning all the 991.2 range that are turbo based and 718 platform etc. There are huge gains to be had on these variants.

G2 said:
996ttalot said:
jotaking said:
Unlucky I guess??

And...

Ken

Do the mechanics/tuners that get hands on with these cars sense any difference in the quality levels of the materials in use? Eg a jockey can tell the quality of a horse with a little time in the saddle. Genuinely interested as considering a 991 GT car next year. :?:
definite increase in quality of GT cars. The major issue we are seeing on these cars is the consequences of the use of aluminium in the chassis - I would advise against curbing wheels because they can caused chassis damage. Other things we are seeing is an accumulation of a function as a direct replacement rather than individual parts e.g. on some of the latest with spoiler issues, you are buying a whole system of that function instead of a single broken part component. Still have the usual combination of materials that don't mix well - manifold bolts etc are still the same material so still the same issues.

Kerbing wheels causes chassis damage on the 991.2 :eek:

I ignored this thread until I realised it was about the 991 gen 2.. what's going on at Porsche... :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back