Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 slightly erratic idle.

I have just had my erratic idle fixed and it was the bank 1 vario-cam solenoid valve. Not a cheap fix but the car runs lovely now. I was really grateful it was not bank 2 as the exhaust has to come off to get to it :eek:

Hi Demort
so tonight, when I got home, there was an OBD plug thing waiting for me :D
That, along with some free software off Google Play got plugged in and here are the readings:
Note, car was cold when these readings were taken.

No error codes (But wasn't expecting any as there's not been any CEL)

Long term fuel % trim Bank 1:
5.47%
Long term fuel % trim Bank 2:
-3.13%

Oxygen sensor 1 Bank 1 voltage 0.44V
The same reading was reading on sensor 2 and the same on bank 2

so obviously I'm concerned about the variance between banks :eek:

But I also did this...
Removed the MAF and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol, put it back in, went for a drive...
It's probably a placebo effect, but running under 2000rpm seemed smoother?!?

Mine has a slightly erotic idle.

erotic idle... lolz

Thought it *might* be a good idea to get the sensor reading with the engine running this time?? :wack:

rpm 710
Short term % fuel trim bank 1
10.94%
Short term % fuel trim bank 2
8.59%

Hope this makes sense to someone! :thumb:

Cleaning the maf is always a good start , normally with a maf fault you get a low reading , see if you can find the amount the maf is saying.

Its probably going to be in grams per second but in KG/h with a/c on i would expect around 18kg/h.

Also ignition on but engine not running see if theres a voltage for it .. it should be 1 volt.

lambdas pre cat should switch so you will see it alter from 0.2v to 0.8 v ( engine running) .. off and you will get 0.44

Post cat and you will see around 0.45 .. you then rev the car and it should rise and fall then settle .. but pre cat is only there to monitor the cats so it wont effect running.

Clean the throttle houseing .. ignition off !

Long term fuel trim .. if thats at idle then theres a big difference there .. see if you have any cam deviation readings or anything at all you can see on the cam .. thought is possible vario cam .. the slippers wear .

On the plus side .. no eml so the car is happy enough adapting to compensate .. but a poor ish idle is a normal result .

Google is a marvelous thing .. bit of searching and some info .. plus a nice picture :D

http://www.easterncatalytic.com/education/tech-tips/fuel-trim-can-be-a-valuable-diagnostic-tool/

This, I understand! so I'll give it a go. :)

For a suspected vacuum leak, note the fuel trims at idle and increase engine speed to 2500 RPM and hold. If the STFT immediately decreases and moves to acceptable levels and the LTFT slowly starts to come back down, you have a vacuum leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back