Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Whine

Mike74

Eh up,

Got a 2007 997 Targa 4, and there's an whining noise (insert your own jokes here) that increases in pitch as the revs increase. If I dip the clutch whilst driving, the noise pretty much disappears, which (I think with my limited knowledge) means it'll not be the transmission.

In my head I think it is getting louder, but no one else really goes in the car to corroborate.

Any ideas (apart from earplugs)?

Best to check ancillaries on the drive belt, water pump etc. Also could be your tensioner/idlers also on the belt. I've had a metallic whine before and it eventually settled when warm. Do you find the noise disappears when warm?

sja360 said:
Best to check ancillaries on the drive belt, water pump etc. Also could be your tensioner/idlers also on the belt. I've had a metallic whine before and it eventually settled when warm. Do you find the noise disappears when warm?

No the noise is there all the time, doesn't disappear when warm.

A friend of mine had the bearing fail on the belt tensioner on his 997 - it got louder and louder until the belt eventually snapped on the way to the OPC

Probably something on youtube as they said it was fairly common on 997's?

HTH

:thumb:

I didnt answer this last night as i considered it already answered but if i may ill go into it in a little more detail ...

A normal noise from the engine and you would remove the drivebelt and spin the pulleys .

Your noise disapears with the clutch depressed whilst driving so we need to know whats actually happening at that point ..

A noisy pully on the enigine will still be there with the clutch depressed as nothing there alters so i think we can rule that out .

The transmition will indeed be disconnected .. well no load on it which is about the same so it Could be a fault in the gearbox/ diff .. BUT you are also compressing the clutch and more importantly the release bearing .

So how do we test for a gearbox or a clutch release bearing fault ..

The noise should be there when stationary .. you might have to rev it but it should be there .. if not and its only when in motion then you have a gearbox fault .

Assumeing the noise IS there when stationary then depress the clutch and it should stop .. there is no load on the gearbox when staionary so you are left with a noisy Thrust / release bearing .

I've had a whiney engine since I had it rebuilt just over a year ago! Doesn't sound like the same issue here as it's engine speed related in gear or out, not noticeable at idle but is apparent from about 1500 to just under 3000 rpm where it is drowned out by road and exhaust noise. Not a particularly unpleasant noise but it hasn't got any worse over the last year, if anything it's got less noisy, or may be I've just got used to it! All the research I have done suggests that it is normal and these engines do whine a bit, Hartech didn't seem to be concerned about it when I spoke to them. Would be interesting to know if others have a similar noise?

It will be either two things, the clutch release bearing is on its way out or the first motion shaft in the gearbox is worn, both make a noise when depressing the clutch if faulty.

I once had the same issue and assumed the bearing was at fault, put it all back together and it still made the noise, gutted. Had to remove the gearbox again and have a new motion shaft fitted.

Lets just say I hope it is your release bearing as the motion shaft was back order part from Germany and an eye watering price plus fitting. ££££

If it goes when you dip the clutch when driving - ie the car is at speed but engine at idle - it may be your a/c compressor. Try seeing if the noise goes when you switch the air con off. If so, you need a re-gas / check for a leak.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back