Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wont be using this national tyre chain again !

Chrali

I got the tyre place to balance the front wheels and do an alignment check as well as it was horrible at 70, lots of shaking and wandering.

I'd recall I'd read that these early TPMS need cloning of their ids to new sensors to work and as mine were a long time dead and the stems were corroding making it tricky to add air, I asked them to remove the TPMS letting me know which wheel had which TMPS id. They were so corrodes they had to be sawn off!

Balancing and alignment are better but the steering wheel isnt fully straight, Ihate that ! Worse they managed to damage at least 3 our of the 4 refurbished wheels removing the tyres. If the previous garage mounted them without damage why can't these !!

So bad day Cayenne wise.

Attachments

• img_20180505_135248_894.jpg
    img_20180505_135248_894.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5,405
I'd be making a claim for damages if they did that to me.

F1 Autocentres did the same to both of my rears, will take before shots and have them agreed upon if I ever go anywhere other than to see Demort for the job.

Im afraid im well know on here for sticking up for my trade ..

Having said that .. erm .. er .. hmm ..

The damage is the same size as a tyre lever , my guess is they didnt use a wheel rim protector ( plastic tube the lever rests on ) or that it slipped .. but to slip on 3 wheels .. hmm .

I will say in the garages defence , the wheel in the image has not been powder coated but is a sand down and paint and as such the paint doesnt bond as well so it wont take much pressure from the tyre lever .. i know .. i used to do wheel refurbs for my old OPC .. powder coat and paint is best . .. but even so this shouldn,t really happen.

The bit that bothers Me the most is the steering wheel not straight .. man that annoys me .. its a simple road test .. 1 mile will do then tweek if needed .. its not hard .. probably on bonus .. do it quick mentaility .. sigh .. gives people like me a bad name and i dont like that .

TPM .. well we only code new sensors .. easy enough but a long road test to get them to learn to the vehicle .. not sure on cloneing , not something that is needed as i can swop any sensor and teach it to any wheel .. actually you can fit the sensors with out a tester and put it into learning mode .. it will still learn them .

Marty .. bless you .. i do my best :D

Mounting tyres is not as easy as it may seem. Have had several different wheels and even tyres chewed by different people/firms. Found some well trained lads near me so always use them now.

The problem is the guys who don't know they are doing a terrible job, I've gone before and asked them straight up if they think they can do it without marking the wheels and allow them to say no and it not be a problem

I also had a problem with F1 (my local one in St Albans) when they fitted tyres to rear of my X5 (315/30/20) - first off they fitted valves that were so long they stuck out past the side of the tyre!! so i politely asked them to change them which they did and then mullered the rim. :frustrated:

after a heated discussion they offered a touch up stick for the wheel! I was so peeed off, i told them to stick it and walked away

I should have expected trouble as when i walked back to pick up the car, i saw the fitter literally boot the air gun underneath the car from one side to another - absolute animal

never again

Conversely OPC Hatfield has a brilliant fitter and in approx 15 years, I have never ever had a prob

:bandit:

snb993 said:
they offered a touch up stick for the wheel! I was so peeed off, i told them to stick it and walked away

:floor: :floor: :floor:

Sorry, my weird SoH :oops:

:thumb:

Ouch! A good mobile smart repair company should be able to help... the challenge is getting the tyre company to pay the invoice.

Fingers crossed it gets sorted efficiently.

C.

It is very much dependent on the guys in the centre. My local F1 place in Cheltenham was quite open when I asked if they could fix a puncture, sorry sir we don't have suitable protectors available (997 turbo wheels) suggest you take it to xxxxxx

Took it to xxxx, puncture repaired, wheel face covered in a bit of smeg they use on the tyres...... find out late that said smeg is covering a mark on the face of the wheel caused by (I suspect) the guy grinding the wrench across the wheel face or knocking it with his socket.

Couldn't be bothered to take it back so will simply never use them again for any of my vehicles; their loss.

asterix_the_gaul said:
Mounting tyres is not as easy as it may seem. Have had several different wheels and even tyres chewed by different people/firms. Found some well trained lads near me so always use them now.

The problem is the guys who don't know they are doing a terrible job, I've gone before and asked them straight up if they think they can do it without marking the wheels and allow them to say no and it not be a problem

You are spot on .. its pretty brutal to get a tyre thats a smaller size than the rim on and off , there are a few tricks such as never clamp the wheel inside the rim , always clamp it on the edge as this holds it perfectly straight .

Always use a rim protector .. and if its a bridgestone tyre to be removed .. ask the customer to go elsewere !!

Oh well as we're namin' and shamin' this was ATS Swaffham. I've logged a complaint with on their website.

Here are the other wheels for your enjoyment. I'd forgotten about the wheel not straight so I'll be popping round to get them to sort that, but I wouldn't trust them to lift the car, as they didn't know how to put the suspension in service mode, I had to google it for them. They want to just raise the suspension, which may be ok, but I wanted it per the manual.

They were way too bothered about getting out of the shop at closing time.

Make my blood boil, its just incompetent !

Attachments

• img_20180505_135226_2_182.jpg
    img_20180505_135226_2_182.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 4,785
  • img_20180505_135244_2_130.jpg
    img_20180505_135244_2_130.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 4,785
  • img_20180505_135307_2_214.jpg
    img_20180505_135307_2_214.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 4,785
  • img_20180505_135315_2_298.jpg
    img_20180505_135315_2_298.jpg
    659.2 KB · Views: 4,785
How come they removed the tyres i thought wheels are balanced with the tyres on.

ATS have come up trumps and offered to refurbish 3 out of 4.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back