Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Poor DAB reception solved

TobesEtc

The DAB reception in my car has always been poor. A while ago I got Sylwester at Enigma audio to fit the same DAB aerial as works perfectly in Mrs MR2. Still no joy. As I usually listen to Spotify I forgot about it for a while but this week asked Sylwester to see if he could sort it out.

Turns out that the USB adapter for my wireless phone charger was causing the issue (similar to one that plugs into a cigarette lighter but actually rooted in behind the dash in my car). It was an iOttie that came with a fairly expensive wireless cradle (we first suspected the wireless charger itself but soon proved that wasn't at fault).

We replaced with a new Belkin version and everything suddenly works fine - hundreds of DAB stations.

So... If your DAB isn't working and you have a USB power adapter in the car (who doesn't these days if you charge you phone!) try removing it. NB the DAB might take a minute to reacquire the signal after the source of interference is removed so be patient.

I have the Continental radio fitted & have been using my phone as a dash cam. As it eats battery I plug it into the cigarette lighter, destroys DAB. Started using a plastic connector as oppose to the metal power monkey one & it's better but still not great. Bit of an issue as I'll soon buy a proper dashcam.

Hi, could you let me know which Belkin one you've bought (+ if single or dual)?

I've bought a dedicated dashcam now and it has the same issue, the joke is if you plug into the USB port on the Continental it still cuts DAB totally too!

Thanks

I'll ask - it's embedded behind the dash.

Hi,

Did you manage to find out which cigarette adapter you've got?

I've tried both a griffin and belkin ones with the same issue unfortunately, though it might be that a specific one is required.

Cheers

Sorry, don't know which model number it is! I've got picture, but you can hardly see anything. I've attached it just in case it helps...

Attachments

• 20180721_183906_756x1008_332.jpg
    20180721_183906_756x1008_332.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 3,135
Thanks for trying :thumb:

So, I've tried various USB chargers and even some ferrite core clamp filters, all to no avail, any other suggestions :?:

Cheers

If you are in range of West London, call Sylwester at Enigma Audio. He'll be able to fix it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back