Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 coupe to 964 targa...

Some pics as requested...

Attachments

• img_2069_952.jpg
    img_2069_952.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 11,116
  • 3_505.jpg
    3_505.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 11,116
  • 2_997.jpg
    2_997.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11,116
The 964 targa is great fun albeit that you only get to experience the roof-off experience in all of its glory for approximately two weeks a year in the UK.
The roof doesn't appreciate being folded up and put under the bonnet too much as it impacts on wear and fitting issues.
After 5 years using one as daily driver I either keep the roof on or if it looks like a prolonged period of sunshine the roof stays in the garage.
This is the first year I have taken the car off the road for the winter so looking forward to the summer.

Though I fear the wrath of the Illuminati and being found with a cable tow around my neck past the low water mark
A 993 is such a better car than a 964
Better engine, suspension , looks, the mistakes from the 964 made the 993 the finest air cooled car

chrisbchips said:
Gunner, my post from a couple of years ago also describes stripping back the targa hoop to achieve brush metal finish. Might be of interest.
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=112520&highlight=spring+refresh

Chris, I think this is one of the posts that has left me in this position, love the look of your targa.

Ken, will keep an our out. How about a supercharged 964 targa...?

As for the 991 targa, I can see why Porsche have gone back to this look. Bit too big and expensive for me though.

Found one I like the look of so any further wisdom/experience of living with one before I take a look at it?

Targas are beautiful! If you can't buy exactly what you want, get a good one and make it what you want!

Attachments

• tw_rdu_280.jpg
    tw_rdu_280.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 4,240
Love that colour!

Also love the 17" sport classic wheels, exactly what I have on my 993.

IMHO well worth exploring this change 8)

We have a 964 C4 targa that we have had for 7 years now. Back then I think that they were a bit unloved but now they are uber cool

The C4 has great brakes but understeers when pushed on. The manual has a very long throw so we opted to recify both of those by having a 993C4 gearbox and front diff installed. With Bilsteins underneath and the combination of a remap/RS SSK, it's now a fab thing and huge fun to drive

We took it along to Dinslaken a few years and use it maybe 8 months a year. This year we are taking it to the Paradors and really looking forward to it. Surprisingly relaxed (for a 28 year old car) on the motorways and just brilliant on the twisties

A properly sorted one is great fun

:thumb:

Thanks, that's useful.

Any roof specific issues?

We haven't had any probs with ours although we did have it recovered last summer as it was getting a bit tired in some patches on the stitching on the top seams. From the history file, it was approx 10 years old at that point

I paid approx £200 for new outer vinyl and inside calico (sp.?) which is the thin foam padding as a kit and although 90% of the recovering was easy, the final stretching over the ends to get the seams pointing downwards (10 degrees?) was a pallava so i had a local guy refinish it for £100. Lots of videos on youtube - including a german one that I think was from the factory on adjusting 1/4 lights etc.
Steve at JAZ is very helpful on these too as some door and other seals they can have recovered rather than fit new ones

I see that some frame parts are expensive but fortunately we haven't needed any. lots of adjustment in the latches so i think as long as it is all complete (handles etc) and working, it should be good. removal and folding is an easy 1 person job

On the move with the top on, it is fairly quiet up until about 80 - similar to my friend's 964 cab - and after that, conversation is still ok. Without the top on is of course where it excels and is totally fab and still feels very taut. No squeaks or rattles at all and is rock steady even at some high autobahn speeds!

:grin:

Garage selling the targa I'm interested in can't even be bothered to return my messages so guess I'll keep looking.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back