Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A few notes from a very smug 911 owner.

Excellent write up.... Nothing like a few well assembled facts !

My purchase was based on a similar proposition i.e. I believe I can beat the market rate for owning a car by buying the right car, at the right price and one that makes me happy.
And by 'beat the market rate' I mean lose less than the cost of leasing a quality car ( BMW / Merc ) circa £550 a month over 2 years, while at the same time have this amazing vehicle as my daily driver.
After nearly 5 months of ownership my little plan has more or less been actioned without any hiccups, having just passed the major milestone of purchasing a 2 year warranty with my local OPC, and after all the bits and pieces added up the bill came to almost exactly what I negotiated off the car when I bought it :D
And yes the value is important to me ( it's the fastest part of my retirement package :grin: ) but the sheer joy I get from driving and looking at that Guards Red Beast on a daily basis is pretty unmeasurable :thumbs:

Those figures are enough to keep your bank manager and accountant very happy let alone the owner. :thumb:

Great update T8 only came across the post now and have seen it has been going since you have owned the car.

I have a similar spreadsheet aswell... and what you have mentioned has come to my mind a few times (regarding spending money on Insurance/tax etc doesnt count)

My car doesnt have OPC warranty which is a BIG mistake made when purchasing such a car. However if I put that on the car I may have saved myself alot of money or I would be in the same state as I am in now - So lesson learnt is buy a porsche with OPC warranty. A Turbo being my 1st Porsche its a HUGE lesson learned with the caliber of car it is :nooo:

JP_Turbo said:
My car doesnt have OPC warranty which is a BIG mistake made when purchasing such a car. However if I put that on the car I may have saved myself alot of money or I would be in the same state as I am in now - So lesson learnt is buy a porsche with OPC warranty. A Turbo being my 1st Porsche its a HUGE lesson learned with the caliber of car it is :nooo:

You may find this of interest. :D

==> Thank heavens for my OPC Warranty

benbuhagiar said:
Personally I'd hold onto the car for another year and see where the market is then.

As the odometer clicked past 69,000 miles a couple of weeks ago my thoughts about changing started again.

Last week I noticed that my local OPC have got a 2013 991C4S in stock and by chance it happens to be in my second favourite colour (Agate Grey) so it seemed like fate was lending a helping hand in my decision making process.

Today I spent 10 minutes walking round the Grey car, despite quickly deciding that the price of this one would make it a non starter for me, with a view to establishing just how much more I liked it than my own. My eyes darted to and fro between this one and my own car. I have to admit that my heart is telling me that one day I will have a 991 but once again - for now at least - my head has ruled and I just can't find it in me to justify anything like the additional £15k-£18k that I'd need to put in.

Tomorrow I'll move the cash that's been burning a hole on my pocket into a One Year Bond and put the paltry £400 interest it will earn towards next years service before going through the whole decision making process again in 12 months time.

I wonder what the values of the respective cars will be then. :dont know:

T8 spin the wheel and go Peer to Peer lending route, little risk and far better rates to the Saver, they also do ISA too.... :D

I would recommend RateSetter....

:thumbs:

Main Force Patrol said:
T8 spin the wheel and go Peer to Peer lending route, little risk and far better rates to the Saver, they also do ISA too.... :D

As an Independent Financial Adviser, peer-to-peer lending is not low risk and not something I would consider for a term of 1 year.

Thanks for the update T8. I think you would be mad to sell at this stage. The 997 Turbo is appreciating in value, whilst the 991 is still depreciating and the price gap will narrow next year.

In 1-3 years, I reckon you could get into a 991 for virtually the same price as your 997.

benbuhagiar said:
Main Force Patrol said:

As an Independent Financial Adviser, peer-to-peer lending is not low risk and not something I would consider for a term of 1 year.

Depends what proportion of your money is lodged with a Peer to Peer, obviously you wouldn't put your pension in there because of the lack of legal protection.
You can get a well protected 2% or you take a risk and get 4%, me I do both :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back