Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Start up phenomenum

Endoman

Albert Park
From cold it fires up it instantly revs up to about 2k and then hunts for a few seconds up and down 800 to 1200 then settles at 1000 'til warm. I've cleaned the isv to no effect. Any ideas? I don't like that initial burst of engine speed.
It's a fairly recent thing and nothing has been done recently that I can think of to cause it. LWF was fitted ages ago. New isv required?

Do you have access to a code reader to see if the dme is generating any errors. I have the toreb interface which can be useful for fault finding...

Yes I've put it on he diagnostic no codes come up. It only does it when cold. It's a bit like starting with your foot on the throttle. I've got a new chip from Steve Wong to try with LWF compensation so I'll try that.

Could be the Lambda sensor :?:

My 964 had a few episodes until I changed it :thumb:

Chief said:
Could be the Lambda sensor :?:

My 964 had a few episodes until I changed it :thumb:

Lambda should be out of the equation on cold start. My money would be on the isv, I assume you have tried bathing it in carb cleaner (excluding the connector) overnight. That and a dab of engine oil when cleaned sorted my idling out when I first got the car.

I take it the throttle is showing as 0 at rest and 83 when to the floor when checking on the diagnostic tool. That should give you an idea about the health of the throttle position sensor.

Also it will be the cylinder head temperature sensor which will be activating the dme's cold start enrichment feature (I would guess this uses the ISV) so may be something else worth testing :thumb:

Endoman said:
From cold it fires up it instantly revs up to about 2k and then hunts for a few seconds up and down 800 to 1200 then settles at 1000 'til warm. I've cleaned the isv to no effect. Any ideas? I don't like that initial burst of engine speed.
It's a fairly recent thing and nothing has been done recently that I can think of to cause it. LWF was fitted ages ago. New isv required?

Mine has done that for a while.... I'm sure it's the isv, and although I did take it off and give it a clean, I suspect not thoroughly enough! Need to do it properly. Mine only does it from cold though, so not too bothered! (oh dear... am I beginning to neglect her?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back