Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 Carrera 2 newbie's first impressions

I have a quote from Alex that includes fitting at Bridport, but if anything more can be shaved from that number I'd be a customer......consider me part of a group buy if it happens.

benbuhagiar said:
Is there a mod that can be done to the TopGear system to make it a bit louder when the valve is open?

Also looking at Air intakes - what are my options Phil?

Ben I would suggest starting with the valved cat back and rear muffler delete x pipe or cross over , I think Topgears is an xpipe design, then if after you have run it a bit you feel you want more sound then fit the topgear 200cell cats this is a one piece unit on gen2 cars and includes the headers so effectivly you would then have a full stainless sports set up that will still have a loud and quiet option, due to the weight reduction over stock and the more free flowing pipes you will also see decent BHP gains this will come mainly when you do the 200cell cats. although just the catback does give fair BHP gains.

re induction for the gen2 , I have found from experience that the ideal easy cheapish way is to fit BMC oval sports filters in your airbox the car will noticably be more freely reving and breath better that sort of weezy engine note will stop.
anything more than this eg performance induction kits like the fabspeed carbon one I have will require a remap as its just a bit too much for the ECU to relearn and you will run lumpy in low revs and have o2 faults on both sides .

If anyones interested just before I fitted the fabspeed induction kit I brought 2 new oval BMC sports filters as I dont clean them just replace then but thats my choice , they are new unused in the box and I brought them when the suppier was doing a discount promo, so happy to let them go for the £120 I paid for them plus £10 postage if anyones interested let me know.

re cleaning Sports filters which is what your supposed to do as they are a lifetime filter , the best advise I have ever been given is to wash them , re oil them, wrap in kitchen paper towel and leave overnight in the airingroom cupboard to steep ,this will ensure any over enthusiastic re oiling will be sorted and not foul the maff sensors (clearly dont tell the wife your doing that to her airing room :grin: ) hope those suggestions help mate :thumb:

Counter Of Beans said:
I have a quote from Alex that includes fitting at Bridport, but if anything more can be shaved from that number I'd be a customer......consider me part of a group buy if it happens.

I would suggest a call to Alex as theres 3 of you interested on this thread and I know of another discussing topgear options on another thread so theres 4 already without posting a group buy invitation . :grin: :thumb:

Hi all,

No appetite for another group buy until July or so i'd expect. This is because I am currently appeasing angry German and French distributors who want to know where all my depth of stock vanished to :?: :floor:

Got a lot in production or restock so in a month or two we'll be in a better position to run something again.

Forum members 10% discount available as always.

Counterofbeans I reckon we can sharpen that fitted deal I offered in PM just a little more but i'd want the vehicle for a few days. Could even potentially collect/deliver it via recovery truck we own.

Let me know by PM if possible.

Phil 997 said:
Counter Of Beans said:

I would suggest a call to Alex as theres 3 of you interested on this thread and I know of another discussing topgear options on another thread so theres 4 already without posting a group buy invitation . :grin: :thumb:

Thanks for your comments Phil.

Sounds like a good plan for a group buy. I am sure we can get at least 5.

:floor: :floor: Thought you might still be recovering from the last group buy Alex ,as I know it exceeded expectations and wipped the stock levels ,But good to hear you may be ready for another one shortly, and I am sure Mike will be happy you may be able to tweak his fitted price a bit in the meantime.
thanks for taking the time to reply mate :thumb: :thumb:

benbuhagiar said:
Phil 997 said:
Counter Of Beans said:

Thanks for your comments Phil.

Sounds like a good plan for a group buy. I am sure we can get at least 5.

Looks like you may have to hang on a month or so Ben as Alex is still rebuilding stock levels from the last group buy. still gives you a chance to save for it :thumb: :grin:

TopGear Exhausts said:
Hi all,

No appetite for another group buy until July or so i'd expect. This is because I am currently appeasing angry German and French distributors who want to know where all my depth of stock vanished to :?: :floor:

Got a lot in production or restock so in a month or two we'll be in a better position to run something again.

Counterofbeans I reckon we can sharpen that fitted deal I offered in PM just a little more but i'd want the vehicle for a few days. Could even potentially collect/deliver it via recovery truck we own.

Is there any chance of replying to my PM or email that I sent around a week ago as I've had no reply to either.

I'm looking for the x pipe and switchable exhaust and asked when they are due back in?

ninenineseven said:
TopGear Exhausts said:
Hi all,

Is there any chance of replying to my PM or email that I sent around a week ago as I've had no reply to either.

I'm looking for the x pipe and switchable exhaust and asked when they are due back in?

Apologies, i've been quite ill and must have missed this. Thanks for the prompt. On this now.

Time for an update on my humble C2 gen 2 PDK. I'd identified seven areas I wanted to improve, and so far the following has happened:
1) steering wheel - the original multifunction wheel has gone (sold on Ebay) and a lovely Sport Design flappy paddle jobbie replaced it (found on Ebay). Fitted it myself, which was easy.
2) ride height - I gave in to temptation and bought Ohlins Road & Track coilovers which will lower the ride height by 20 mm plus give a more controlled ride. These go on in three weeks time, being fitted by Brookspeed in Southampton. They prepare race cars so they should do a good job.
3) stance - purchased spacers and longer bolts. 15 mm rear and 7 mm front which I think looks much better, especially at the rear.
4) wheels - sold the original 18 inchers on Ebay, bought 19 inch Classics with nearly new Michelin PS2's on them (again, from Ebay).
5) gearbox shifting up too early - had Sport Mode retrofitted today at my local OPC. Expensive for essentially a gearbox map, but loving it already!
6) exhaust - I'm having a catback exhaust made for me by CGR Automotive in Rotherham. It's made from 304 stainless, with back-purged welds and v-band fittings; see here https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust .... should be ready in September.
7) brakes - sent my calipers off to Thomas at pro calipers who did a perfect job, although refitting them proved a pain. I now have lovely "big red" brakes.

Next step is an MOT (yawn) and a full service at Brookspeed. After that, I want to improve the sound system. I'm looking at the speaker upgrade offered by Audiofile In-Car.
Apologies but I cannot figure out how to add photos! I click "choose file", it loads it, then I click "add attachment" and nothing happens!
Mike.

Had another go, I think my images were too big (ooer matron).
Will add more in due course.

Attachments

• new_steering_wheel1_191.jpg
    new_steering_wheel1_191.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,476
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,476
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,477
  • left_side_view1_756.jpg
    left_side_view1_756.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 1,477
    left_side_view1_756.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 1,478
    left_side_view1_756.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 1,478
  • stance_right_side_view1_103.jpg
    stance_right_side_view1_103.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,478
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,477
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,477
Very nice set of upgrades Mike, Brookspeed will be spot on for the service and fitting the ohlins. the only thing I see missing from your set of mods is BMC oval sports air filters around £140 and well worth doing . :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Phil; yes they (the BMC's) had crossed my mind. I suppose I was thinking "I won't see them, so will there be any benefit that I can hear?" I should add that I'm not too bothered about performance gains. Living near Southampton you're never far from a speed bump/safety camera/Doris in her Honda Jazz/traffic light etc. etc. etc.
I probably will give them a go, since I'll soon run out of mods to do. Or, does Phil997 have an endless list with which to tempt me? I think we know the answer to that one!!
Mike.

:floor: :floor: well yes Mike the list is quite long but I realise not everyone wants to try and do everything. The BMC does give a nice induction note and a couple of BHP but to be honest the main reason to do it is the improved way the car breathes and revs more freely. it feels like its added a lot more than it actually has. IMO its £140ish very well spent and one of the cheaper mods to do for a nice result. Might be worth asking Stuart at Brookspeed to chuck them in it while its having a service. :thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back