Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A bit of touching up.... and a quick show off..

Lig

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

Well its been a good few months, but at last I have the car back.....

Scuttle rust done, front end respray including removal of washer jets and rear bumper respray done ... all looking mighty fine and worth a show off :lol:

I was very tempted recently to 'trade in' for an RS6 as someone at the paint shop was interested in mine and I went to look at an RS three times...but soooo glad I didn't do it!!

Cheers Lig....

993716057_o.jpg

993716457_o.jpg

993716069_o.jpg

993716356_o.jpg

Cool, looks good. I was/am really tempted with washer jet delete (I can't think of a less useful bit of kit) but I'm told it's an MOT fail - did you work out a way around that issue?

Cheers chaps,

MOT fail? Never heard of that? I can't see why as loads of cars don't have them? If anything it will be a 'tick box'....if they are there then they have to work but if they aren't there then they cant test them?? Similar to the rear wiper delete...

Better keep hold of mine just in case :lol:

Cheers,
Lig.

I believe it's a fail if they are fitted but don't work, but it you remove the jets, pipes, wires etc then it's the same as a car which never had them.

Yeah, I just did a quick google and it also seems to only apply to HID and LED lights...

Cheers,
Lig...

Lig said:
Hi all,

Well its been a good few months, but at last I have the car back.....

Scuttle rust done, front end respray including removal of washer jets and rear bumper respray done ... all looking mighty fine and worth a show off :lol:

I was very tempted recently to 'trade in' for an RS6 as someone at the paint shop was interested in mine and I went to look at an RS three times...but soooo glad I didn't do it!!

Cheers Lig....

993716057_o.jpg

993716457_o.jpg

993716069_o.jpg

993716356_o.jpg

Trade in for a RS6? you would need your head looking at doing that young man

Tobyone said:
Trade in for a RS6? you would need your head looking at doing that young man

How funny... just this minute been in a shop where the guy said "I'm called Toby, too. You don't get many Toby's..." and then you pop up! :thumb:

(MOT requirement for HID...I have HID...)

Yeah, I have HID too but they are not OEM on the car so maybe if it were a modern car with HID (or LED) as standard and you removed the jets then potentially you could have an issue, but even then I think if they are their then they have to work, if they are not there then they cannot be part of the test...that's what I am telling myself anyhoooo :D

My MOT shop wont even notice they have been removed....

Lig.

Hids and leds, no washers, no fails.

Lig said:
Yeah, I have HID too but they are not OEM on the car so maybe if it were a modern car with HID (or LED) as standard and you removed the jets then potentially you could have an issue, but even then I think if they are their then they have to work, if they are not there then they cannot be part of the test...that's what I am telling myself anyhoooo :D

My MOT shop wont even notice they have been removed....

Lig.

Extract from the latest MOT testers' manual (effective from 20 May 2018):

"Existing halogen headlamp units shouldn't be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

I suspect that this could be a problem for a few of us now. I will probably just go back to halogen bulbs to save any potential hassle.

Seems very odd for legislators to insist that we remove an added safety feature from our car. Not sure who would benefit from this? :?

1. General legislative guidance on aftermarket HID Headlamps
In the Department for Transport's (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID 'burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern. :cop:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aftermarket-hid-headlamps/aftermarket-hid-headlamps

So there you have it... :hand:

DrJimBone said:
If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID 'burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

This is interesting... Is the replacement lens that many of us have fitted due to discolouration not the same for standard and Litronic (Xenon) headlights?

C.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back