Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 suspension mods

obiwan

I have a PASM 3.6 Carrera 2006 I want to refresh the suspension but still have a road car not a track vehicle. I had a number of options, just change the old shocks for B4 with pasm, or go for coil overs B16 damptronic. I want to retain the road drivability but make it feel a lot more planted and secure.
I'm sure there will also be a few bush upgrades. Anyone with experience please comment. Thanks.

I would get your car setup by centre gravity if you havent already. My 997 turbo handled shockingly. Used to bounce down the road like a bloated tanker ship. Handled shockingly and did not inspire any confidence at all.

I fitted the DSC module which made a huge improvement, but I was convinced at approaching nearly 100,000 miles my original shocks were in need of replacement.

Centre Gravity tested the shocks on their machine and said they were perfectly fine. Phew. They then found a couple of suspension arms which needed replacing and a full geo setup to make the car handle how I wanted. (Fast B road setup).

Difference is simply staggering. Night and day. I could not believe quite how much changing the settings could make. Car handles like its on rails now and sticks to the road like glue. I now have confidence in the car and whilst im probably not hitting 60% of the cars capabilities I can push the car much much harder around bends than I dared before.

Good advice above, I'd recommend having your equipment checked before replacing.

If you're set on changing or the results of an above test say they need changing,look at Ohlins. I fitted these to my 911. I was going to fit B16s but I couldn't get a set anywhere as Bilstein we're having trouble suppling them. This was in July/August last year but worth checking before ordering. Also multiple people told me the B16 is a very firm setup. The Ohlins are excellent, I have them set about mid way between firm and soft and they have transformed the car. But I wanted the car to feel more like a race car but that wasn't too firm. I also lowered the car by about 20mm.

I also fitted H&R unrated anti-roll Bars.

I think you'll unfortunately struggle to find the B16 damptronics. I waited 10 months and they kept pushing my order back. I went with eibach lowering springs and the DSC module as a temporary solution until I can get the B16's. Sadly if you want to retain your PASM Ohlins are not an option yet.

Definitely worth a trip to Centre Gravity, I am going to do this at some point.

apollokre1d said:
I think you'll unfortunately struggle to find the B16 damptronics. I waited 10 months and they kept pushing my order back. I went with eibach lowering springs and the DSC module as a temporary solution until I can get the B16's. Sadly if you want to retain your PASM Ohlins are not an option yet.

Definitely worth a trip to Centre Gravity, I am going to do this at some point.

That's a good point about the PASM which I forgot to mention. That was a big deal for me initially hence me wanting to stay with Bilstein. But I never used that button ((neither do I on my Boxster) and now I don't have it it doesn't bother me at all.

I have Damptronics, DSC module and geo by Center Gravity. Car is fantastic to drive. :thumb:

Mini-Me said:
I have Damptronics, DSC module and geo by Center Gravity. Car is fantastic to drive. :thumb:

Me too!! :D

Try Rose Passion for the Damptronics - I found my set for my turbo there - they were about the only place on the planet that had them in stock (4 months ago) - not sure if they have stock for the non turbo cars though.

Already looked there, they have the non PASM version only :(

Maybe I read the OPs post differently, but it does seem that he has Damptronics at the moment. As such, I'd simply go with à–hlins R&T and a good set up (as you all say, from Centre Gravity). à–hlins have a softer spring rate than Bilstein, which helps in the day to day. I would also say that the cornering can be enhanced with a good set of ARBs,and lots of fresh bushes. :wink:

Thanks fo rather replies. Good advice, i've contacted centre gravity and will visit them when I get the chance. Thanks everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back