Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre puncture

david_yorkshire

So;
got a bloody nail in my rear tyre
about 5 cm from edge
nail is small - think picture hook size nail.
very slow loss of pressure - 1 psi in 300 miles / 4 days (when tpms indicated a little low, I initially couldn't even find the nail)

Tyre is a Cup 2, still showing min 6mm tread, so hardly worn ( only done 1/2 a track day on it plus a bit of road use !)

Would a repair / plug be OK ?
seems an arse to have to replace the tyre.
or am i just being a tight arse.....

If a professional tyre company consider it to be repairable I'd get it repaired.

T8 said:
If a professional tyre company consider it to be repairable I'd get it repaired.

^^^^^This^^^^^^

Porsche,s official line is no puncture repairs are allowed .

To be fair though ive done many at an OPC !

Repair is fine as long as its not too close to the edge .. patch wont seal properly if it is .

If your going to track it though i might have to question if a repair was advisable.

Track use puts a lot more strain on a tyre than normal road use.

Ive repaired and tracked tyres and lived to tell the tale...

Going to try the repair route
No track days booked at the mo so we'll see how it gets on with just road use

Repaired my own using a kit.

Loads around you get a hole cleaning tool, plugs and glue etc.

Brilliant to get you out of bother and far better than the sticky stuff that is a nightmare to get off the inside when you replace or fix tyre properly.

Yes I know it is not a repair to last forever or suitable using the car track day style.
But I don't blast around on it and it has been fine.

Kit was about a tenner on ebay.

Oh and it saves a butcher getting there hands on your wheels at a pikey car tyre place.

Tobyone said:

Brilliant to get you out of bother and far better than the sticky stuff that is a nightmare to get off the inside when you replace or fix tyre properly.

Yes I know it is not a repair to last forever or suitable using the car track day style.

Not true.

I've repaired a race slick with one of those kits. It managed to pick up a puncture when it was brand new while it was still in the pit lane :roll:

Worked absolutely fine until it was binned due to heat cycles.

tyre all sorted
Black Boots at Chesham

They have the required torque wrench, adapter and more importantly the knowledge of what they are doing !

quick service too.
now - when's the next trackday :floor:
I've got a new engine to blow up :bandit:

might pick up one of these eBay kits just for emergencies :thumb:

Tony and the guys can be trusted.

I have the Silverline kit in the car just in case.

I feel your pain with tyres, I have managed to ruin 2 on the daily driver within a week. First was catching a dislodged drain cover and ripping a hole in the sidewall whilst avoiding an oncoming car and the second was a pothole causing the sidewall to bulge. Ended up replacing all four as the two best ones got wrecked.

Looks like beans on toast for the rest of the month..

david_yorkshire said:
:grin:
Hope not - want this latest engine of yours to finally prove that Porsche has solved the problem. :?:

NXI20 said:
Tobyone said:

Not true.

I've repaired a race slick with one of those kits. It managed to pick up a puncture when it was brand new while it was still in the pit lane :roll:

Worked absolutely fine until it was binned due to heat cycles.

Indeed yes.
I was on the cautious side being on the forum.
My OPC slated me for using one of these kits saying it would risk a blow out.
Took absolutely not notice at all as I do have an in-depth knowledge of this sort of thing and never had the slightest problem at all even at enthusiastic speeds.

DRZ911 said:
david_yorkshire said:
:grin:
Hope not - want this latest engine of yours to finally prove that Porsche has solved the problem. :?:

Unfortunately yes - second G series engine fitted
( there is a thread on here - last one went pop at Oulton in March)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back