Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM3 iPod cable

Phil 997 said:
Hi Chris, :floor:make me sound like confucius I know I am old but not that old :floor: not sure what James has done , and he may not be using the Y connector that you just brought and maybe trying to run it of the single lead like you had . but I can assure you mine displays tracks , can jump forward or back tracks on the album your listening to. stays charged up/ recharges. remembers where it was last unless you have been playing music on the phone while out of the car . to change tracks you can scroll through the library but I actually find it quicker to go into spotify on the phone find the album I want and start it playing that way . it probably does a lot more but I tend to play an album right through and then select another album I might skip the odd naff track but thats about all . :thumb: :thumb:

but dont let the kids get hold of it as its just not very cool window down shades on hair slicked playing bloody lion king at full volume :grin: :grin:
cheers phil, mine are past lion king lol I do th same I can't stand shuffle I like to listen to full albums warts and all 👍👍

So, what cable does everyone use with an iPhone 7 that allows the tracks to be changed etc via the stereo, please?

Nervy said:
So, what cable does everyone use with an iPhone 7 that allows the tracks to be changed etc via the stereo, please?

Nervy , you need the porsche Y connector see pic these are under £30 from the OPC .it connects the round porsche ipod plugs into the same on the car the usb goes into the port on the car and the 30pin into the bovee , then you fit a bovee 1000 or similar bluetooth link and pair this to your phone this will allow you to stream either your library or spotify etc bluetooth from your phone to the PCM3

Attachments

• s_l1600_989.jpg
    s_l1600_989.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 4,382
Hi Phil! Thank you mate, I appreciate you taking the time to explain all that. Sounds needlessly complicated! Will I be able to skip tracks etc from the Head unit then, or do I need to control via the phone still?

Nervy said:
Hi Phil! Thank you mate, I appreciate you taking the time to explain all that. Sounds needlessly complicated! Will I be able to skip tracks etc from the Head unit then, or do I need to control via the phone still?

yes mate you can then skip forward or back from the PCM whatever album your playing on your phone. it sounds complicated but it really isnt , once set up its fine . it just updates the 10yr old PCM3 a little to try to interact with more modern phones etc. :thumb: I dont think it will be very long before we see gen2 owners doing the same as gen1 and 996 owners and fitting aftermarket head units that are all singing all dancing, mirror link etc. . its the only way really to keep up with the speed tech moves at. :thumb:

Nervy said:
Thanks Phil, awesome as always. I appreciate your time buddy.

your very welcome mate :thumb: :thumb:

I dunno what's wrong with mine. Probably user error.

I have correct cables and bovee, it must be the amazon app. I don't use Spotify or iTunes. Mostly BBC iPlayer radio (Craig Charles) or amazon.

Maybe someone can confirm mine is functioning correctly at TRAX Donington.

:dont know:

I've got an old (ish) iPod (a Nano 3rd generation) and I don't ever use my phone for music, or anything else come to that! I just want to play my iPod songs in the car via the PCM3; it's a 2011 Carrera 2.
So, what cable do I need for my iPod? The armrest cubby hole has a USB slot and a round iPod socket but no sign of a cable.

Counter Of Beans said:
I've got an old (ish) iPod (a Nano 3rd generation) and I don't ever use my phone for music, or anything else come to that! I just want to play my iPod songs in the car via the PCM3; it's a 2011 Carrera 2.
So, what cable do I need for my iPod? The armrest cubby hole has a USB slot and a round iPod socket but no sign of a cable.

Mike has your ipod got the 30pin input on it or is it a different conector :?:

Counter Of Beans said:

Mike you could have my cable, I used it with my old iPod but now use my phone, £10 including delivery ok?

Phil, yeah it's the 30 pin connector, definitely not the "lightning" one, which I think is for their (Apple's) newer stuff?
Silvermilnec good of you to offer, you have a pm.
Thanks chaps, Mike.

Counter Of Beans said:
Phil, yeah it's the 30 pin connector, definitely not the "lightning" one, which I think is for their (Apple's) newer stuff?
Silvermilnec good of you to offer, you have a pm.
Thanks chaps, Mike.

Mike sounds like Chris is sorting you out mate , good outcome :thumb:

I setup a ipod with the cable with mine but you might as well use a usb stick it works well

James M-S said:
I can't say I rate the bovee really. No track display, and you can't skip tracks either without touching the phone. I bought an official apple 30pin-lightening adapter cable, and you can't get track display or skip tracks on that either. (Music source is amazon music).

Bovee
advantages- music while using satnav app
Disadvantages- no charging, no track display, no fwd skip/pause. Slow to detect phone.

Just wanted to say that you can skip tracks, you just use the arrow keys at the top left of the head unit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back