Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ATP coffin arms

maldren

Very cheap, anyone tried them?

Part of me thinks they are getting too cheap....

I mean I've bought very cheap suspension arms for other cars in the past, and very cheap cat converters. These parts have only really lasted a year or two, enough to put it on through an MOT or two.

I suspect these are similar.... I would go for a proven brand, at least Meyle and preferably TRW if you can find any. The cost involved in labour and a geo setup each time is annoying if you have to change again, unless you can do that yourself then it might worth a gamble.

Someone did a test of the bushings on some arms and found the material was softer than OE, mainly a problem on the rear as they compress under acceleration.

Just looked at buycarparts.co.uk and found:
Ridex £57.73
ABS £63.82
Fortune Line £78.76
Mapco £81.45
JP Group £113.10
Stark £89.61
Meyle £116,25
Vaico £117,26

I'm sure they're not all manufacturing them, anyone know who is and which are good? I suspect some are poor Chinese copies but which?

Price looks good but it doesn't say who made them, they could easily be ATP.

Aren't some of these eBay ones rebuilds? They could be OEM, effectively.

I think the ones I fitted were ATP, 4 of them off eBay for £150 delivered.
They seemed really well made to me, probably not as good as the originals when new but who cares for a road car at that price.

I've had then on the car for over 18 months/10,000m and they have been fine. If they only last 8 years instead of 16 years like the originals then I'd still be very pleased with them and replace with the same.

There was a thread about the stiffness of the bushes not being as good as original Porsche arms (caused an issue on 997's) in a certain direction but the OP on this thread found that by filling the bush holes with 70 shore they were better. Personally I wouldn't bother if you are not racing the car and save yourself a few hundred quid by buying them.

I've just bought a set of 4 Meyle for my 996 C4S. Not fitted them yet but from what I've read and people I've spoken to they seem to be pretty good for the money. Got mine from design 911 with tuning forks and drop links.

I suppose I could ask the question differently:

Has anyone tried 3rd party coffin links and if so, which?

Has anyone had issues with 3rd party arms (excepting, for now, the Meyle dimensional issues which have reputedly been fixed)?

I used the newer Meyle ones and I have no complaints. Did the tuning forks at the same time along with new TRW track rod ends as well. Totally transformed the front of the car.

Good to know as I'm doing exactly the same this coming weekend - Meyle coffin arms and TRW forks and trackrod ends.

OP - The ATP ones are generally OK. There's a bit of snobbishness around parts which is sometimes warranted, in this case i'm sure they are good but it does give an impression of doing things cheap. Discerning Porsche buyers might want to see OEM brands on any invoices.

I've used the ATP stuff on BMWs quite a few times and they have been fine, so they will/should be good enough.

PHS said:
OP - The ATP ones are generally OK. There's a bit of snobbishness around parts which is sometimes warranted, in this case i'm sure they are good but it does give an impression of doing things cheap. Discerning Porsche buyers might want to see OEM brands on any invoices.

Like yours, my car is no longer standard, I've RS engine mounts and I'm fitting a 997 shift too.

Porsche parts are out of the question (price) and anyway, I'm fitting Ohlins so my car won't be standard. My initial thoughts were either TRW or the Hartech remanufactured ones (Prekom). TRW don't seem to be available any more but there are so many alternatives yet no one seems to have tried them, perhaps I should try the Boxster forum?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back