Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Front wishbone bushes - replacement

Hi, no I bought reconditioned wishbones with Id assume oe rubber bushes, def not poly bushes. They have failed big time, totally kaput. The rear section rubber of the wishbone is fine, just the front section that are knackered.

Anyway I've decided to replace both wishbones with new Porsche parts, as I can't believe new parts wouldn't last at least 50K miles, the refurb ones I've now realised covered only 13K miles, not the initial 18K I first thought.

My mechanic mate recons unless the plastic or other rubber replacements include the sleeve that's press fitted into the wishbone, then replacements in whatever material are pretty compromised. (It seems most 'repair/replacement' kits do not include this metal sleeve) .

I tend to agree after what's happened. After all the Hartech refurbs cost £350 inc delivery and VAT plus fitting. I just assumed they'd be somewhere near as good as the originals in use. Obviously in my case at least, it was a complete false economy.

The cars had an easy life since they were fitted. No trackdays, heavy use etc.

Hi Wozy that's very unfortunate, those bushes were clearly inferior to only last such a short time.
The ones I was mentioning were these

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/964/rubber-bushings-for-964/

As you can see if you scroll down they come complete, the bolt goes through the solid shaft in the middle; not sure if that's the part you think was missing with your replacements.
Whatever you get fitted make sure that the suspension is compressed when the bolts are tightened when you get the new ones fitted.

Hi Wozy that's very unfortunate, those bushes were clearly inferior to only last such a short time.

As you can see if you scroll down they come complete, the bolt goes through the solid shaft in the middle; not sure if that's the part you think was missing with your replacements.
Whatever you get fitted make sure that the suspension is compressed when the bolts are tightened when you get the new ones fitted.

AVI_8 said:

Hi, yes it seems those are the jobies. $90 dollars per side just for the front of the wishbones plus carriage plus import tax and VAT would end up costing a wee bit though, and then you've the cost of fitting them.

I've heard great things about Elephant Racing and of I had the dosh or the inclination I'd be having the $650.00 complete kit. That looks fantastic :)

I've spent circa £8-9K replacing my complete suspension, the only damn part I didn't go new was the bloody wishbones. Like I've stated somewhere else, il go new this time on them though. :D

And after spending that amount you'll have a car which handles like new and that's worth a lot! And hopefully it will :thumb:

wozy said:
Just to add to this.

I bought Hartech refurbed front wishbones in the summer of 2015 when I replaced all suspension parts.

They have covered 18K mles ....... and are shot. There hasn't been any hard/trackday driving.

I'd upload the vid showing the wear but its 45MB.

Just booking it in now to have new wishbones. Stuff this refurb/insert route for me.

Wozy, who fitted these?, that doesn't sound right at all.

Hartech obviously fitted the bushes, my mate an air cooled nut of a mechanic installed the wishbones. The install is a no brainier if you have a lift.

I've since heard a whisper that (and this may be incorrect) Hartech dish it out to a third party for the re-bushing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back