Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spare wheel - anyone drive without it?

TobesEtc

Mexico City
Does anyone take the view that even if they had a puncture they'd not use their spare wheel, and thus remove it?

Heard mention (here?) of freeing up space and reducing weight... The space would actually be useful on some trips. Not sure I'd risk it, though.

What does the hive mind think?

I read somewhere that the space saver insitu adds to the structural rigidity of thr car in the event of frontal impact............maybe this was because it was in place when they did the crash test originally :dont know:

ColinC said:
I read somewhere that the space saver insitu adds to the structural rigidity of thr car in the event of frontal impact............maybe this was because it was in place when they did the crash test originally :dont know:

That's correct and with the fuel tank just behind it it's really not worth the weight saving.

I have to hope that stories of the spare wheel adding strength are an urban myth!

Firstly, it's held in place with a tiny spindle, so it will just pop out the instant there's any sort for structural deformation.

If it doesn't pop out, it'll just pass forces through towards the lower bulkhead when that area crumples.

I think you'd find that far from popping out in the event of a heavy front impact the wheel would be very much held in place by the deformed metal surrounding it and yes it would pass the forces through to the structure behind but it would do that evenly.
I've been in a head on collision before (not in a 911) due to an eejit taxi driver trying to overtake a large puddle and was very thankful of the metal out front that day, 3 days in hospital with a broken sternum was a tad painful though.

I leave it in place, mainly so I could use it, but secondly because low at the front is not where I'd be trying to save weight.

Follow up question though, anyone actually tried inflating theirs recently?

Good question - mine doesn't ever look to have been inflated. Given that tyres go hard around 5-10 years...what chance a 24 year old deflated unit? Nice hard skinny tyre...mmmm!

It looks temptingly like the right size to store two sleeping bags on my upcoming LM24 trip...

And on the curve-ball subject of crash strength, I'm with the Illuminati...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=78799

It seems the illuminati are divided also. On the subject of spare tyre inflation I presumed it was a one time use tyre, mine only just fits in and no more past the battery, I would have thought that once inflated it would be difficult to deflate enough to get it to fit in again.
Personally I think I'd call the AA if I got a puncture and get towed home, a whole lot less hassle

I have mine but wouldn't really want to have to rely on it should I get a puncture.

I have the foam insert from a boxster to hold the jack neatly in the spare wheel so if I got rid of the wheel I'd need to start hunting for the infamous bag for the jack. :grin:

Some interesting responses on Tobe's link. I particularly like this one from Chris W:

Chris W said:
Back on topic, do you all know how to refit the spacesaver in the very small space? Its useful to know!

You take the valve out using the special valve cap. It has a valve core tool on the other end. Take this out completely to allow the tyre to FULLY deflate. Sit on it, hug it, get all the air out you can.

Squeeze the spacesaver back in the hole, without the valve core it will compress.

Once in situ then replace valve core and put cap back on!

Job done!

I've used mine once - about 5 years ago I think. It inflated without a problem and got me to Kwik-Fit fine. The biggest issue I had was getting it out, then getting it back in again.

I've also taken it out and re-fitted it a couple of times since, a proper ball-ache each time. Plus you risk doing your back in 'cos you don't want to lean on the PU :nooo:

With Chris's tip it should be a breeze next time

I'm sure I read in Paul Freres excellent book on the history of the 911, that indeed it is a crucial part of the front protection of the 911.

Mind you, possibly I could have dreamt it. :D

Well whether it's part of the structural integrity or not one thing I've noticed is that my car feels as though it handles better with a full tank of fuel.
I can definitely feel a difference when the tanks running low.
So even for that reason I'm keeping mine in.

A couple of recarro SPG's is a good way of removing a fair few Kilos Or pole positions if you're a bit ..... Wider!

Interesting comment that people think it handles better with weight over the front. Can certainly understand the rationale for that.

Mines a C4, but never the less, may give it a go with near-empty tank and no wheel, then fill up and replace wheel.

Interesting!

I'm sure some illuminati members over the cold dark winter months spend the odd day inflating their spare to lubricate the rubber and then watch it go back down folding in to its original size :roll:

My dough is on jonttt to have tried it a few times :dont know:

AndyS said:
Some interesting responses on Tobe's link. I particularly like this one from Chris W:

Chris W said:
Back on topic, do you all know how to refit the spacesaver in the very small space? Its useful to know!

You take the valve out using the special valve cap. It has a valve core tool on the other end. Take this out completely to allow the tyre to FULLY deflate. Sit on it, hug it, get all the air out you can.

Squeeze the spacesaver back in the hole, without the valve core it will compress.

Once in situ then replace valve core and put cap back on!

Job done!

I've used mine once - about 5 years ago I think. It inflated without a problem and got me to Kwik-Fit fine. The biggest issue I had was getting it out, then getting it back in again.

I've also taken it out and re-fitted it a couple of times since, a proper ball-ache each time. Plus you risk doing your back in 'cos you don't want to lean on the PU :nooo:

With Chris's tip it should be a breeze next time

OK apart from the lack of space for the inflated and deflated spare, what did you do with the no doubt filthy, full size alloy with wide tyre, does it just squeeze in the frunk or have to go on the rear seats?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back