Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ims advice please and help

Exelzion

Hi should be picking up my car soon but was wanting if someone can be so kind to upload a noise from a stock 996 c4 or c2 so I can rule out what the ims is like , it's been a long time since I heard a stock 996 so was wanting to find a good clear sound to avoid me buying a car with possible bike issue but more important not buying it because I thought no it's knocking when it isn't. Or is there any good clear sound files ? Thanks for any help

I think you'd be far better off getting any car that you're seriously considering (i.e are already 95% sure of) professionally checked out.

...I am afraid that comparing engine sounds will not help you...it could sound and drive perfectly ok until it fails...ask me how I know!

Mine was perfect for 1000 miles and then the stud snapped off the ims...now being completely rebuilt!

Ignore those that will tell you not to worry...Hartech gave me this advice when I spoke with them prior to purchase...and then it broke...

Get the bearing changed on purchase or buy one with this work done would be my advice unless you enjoy a £10k gamble?

It doesnt happen very often these days .. but as mentioned it can , my advise is always if your worryed about it then replace it .

Re a noise .. you dont really get one ..

Example .. a collegue of mine at OPC took a car on road test for a phone fault .. poor sound quality .. as he was speaking to the workshop foreman ( hands free ) the bearing let go .

It was that quick and no prior warning .

Thats the scary bit .. the reality .. ive not seen one of these go in over a year .. might be pushing 2 .

IMS stud snapping is not bearing failure,

T8 said:
I think you'd be far better off getting any car that you're seriously considering (i.e are already 95% sure of) professionally checked out.

+1
Agreed

Osh

alex yates said:
IMS stud snapping is not bearing failure,

Wot 'e said /\/\/\

Osh

...semantics; the stud is attached to the bearing, the bill for the repair is the same...the engineering equally poor and the risk just as unpredictable...

GMG said:
...semantics; the stud is attached to the bearing, the bill for the repair is the same...the engineering equally poor and the risk just as unpredictable...

But a different fault from what you stated. So your advice on having the IMS bearing replaced or buying one with a replacement bearing is duff information unless the stud is replaced with a more robust solution.

...Porsche won't sell you an original weak and poorly designed bearing with the fragile stud thus whatever replacement is fitted will be better...

Thanks yea sounds as it was an rms leak that was fixed along with a new clutch and flywheel and ims plate. That was done in 05 so might have a ride down Hartec later this year for a new clutch and ims change with the stronger one , until then I'm going to change the oil n filter every 2000 miles or every 3 month whatever comes first and drive it very hard :thumbs:

Hartech son't offer that service. They will only replace a bearing during a rebuild..........unless when they do your clutch they find the bearing is about to go bang.

Just have the outer seal removed from the bearing and leave it alone.

Funny how Porsche's weak under spec'd bearing was perfectly fine in over 90% of all M96/M97 engines.

OP,

if you want piece of mind, it would be a good idea to get Hartech to check the bearing when you have your clutch replaced. Alternatively, there are many well respected Indies who have replacement / upgrade bearing solutions which ought to give you the piece of mind you are looking for. It depends on the level of risk you are prepared to accept.

As has been mentioned, there are no characteristic noises that indicate future or imminent failure.

...........and 'upgrades' also fail - ask Hartech.

Hi Alex,

It would be interesting to know from Hartech which type are failures, who fitted them and how many failures occur. From what I have seen Baz does not say that people should not install IMS replacement / updgrades.

Here is a respected Indie with zero replacement failures for example!

https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/servicing/ims-bearing-upgrade/

It is possible to rubbish any statement with one liners and without the facts, as Baz advocates, people are free to fit replacements and some are good solutions. GMG may wish he had! It is what risk you are prepared to accept of an IMS bearing failing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back