Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Twists, Genuine Or Replica?

Thomp1983

finally getting around to putting up my 18" twists as they've sat in the corner of the garage for months since I fitted lobster claws.

EAljaRK.jpg

ztgheQR.jpg

front has that part number and the offset info on the back of the spokes

jWUcFss.jpg

95go7NE.jpg

rears have those parts numbers and offsets on the rear, measuring rim edge to rim edge is 10" so im assuming there part no. B?

so the question is are they genuine porsche twists or replicas so I can advertise them accordingly.

cheers
chris

Genuine hollowspokes. Worth a small fortune. Lucky you.

thanks for the quick response, they ideally want refurbing as they have some curbing and the paint is bubbling up in places any idea what they'd be worth in that condition?

chris

what tyres? Are they scrap or decent tread? The 993 guys will probably break your arm off for 1250. I've seen really good sets go for much more. Ask Chris at excel wheels what a set goes for maybe worth refurb first?

There continental contact sport 2's so n rated they've probably got a year or so tread left on them,

Seriously glad I asked I'd of took £250 for them to have them gone

Codes starting 993 are Turbo 1 and starting 996 Turbo 2.
Pic showing the difference between solid and hollow spoke. (Pic from Rentech)

Attachments

• 160c52c3_64fc_48b9_9298_1f559a490f7f_147.jpeg
    160c52c3_64fc_48b9_9298_1f559a490f7f_147.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,534
I seriously want these for my car. Too bad I'm skint!
Would've given you the 250 to help you get rid of them, however!

"Worth a small fortune" is a tad optimistic... There are a few sets on ebay for example at unrealistic money, hence they've been there for months and even years in some cases.

The rears if 10.0j are worth decent money, however the 7.5j fronts are the least desired as most owners want the wider 8.0j fronts.

Forget the tyres when it comes to advertising IMO, as unless they're very good and the date stamps show less than 6-7 years old then they'll need replacing anyway.

As they stand in need of a refurb, i'd guess at around £800 to £1000 for the set if you're lucky. Bear in mind also that not all refurbishers will blessed with the knowledge of refurbishing hollow spokes, so generally refurb costs are a tad higher.

All IMO of course.

C.

im in no way expecting them to be worth thousands i have seen the sets on ebay you mention but looking at completed sales there are some that sold for £700 - 1000.

on a more important point is there an easy way of determining if they are indeed 10 inch rears, ideally I know your supposed to remove the tyre and measure between the beads but that's not really practical, they do have 285/30/18 tyres fitted to them which I believe shouldn't be fitted on a 9 inch wheel.

chris

Shouldn't doesn't mean you cant.

Only sure fire way would be tyre off and measure but you are right its the bead to bead width that wheels go by.
Generally your looking at maximum of 0.5in either side from wheel edge to bead.

I thought rear hollow spokes only came in 11 inch width and the solids were 10 inch?

in order to find out what width the rears are I decided I'd take the wheel to my regular tyre place and have it removed/refitted so I could measure the barrel.

Once there I learnt something new, there is a tool available for measuring wheel width when the tyre is mounted

HSbx3MG.jpg

as you can see it touches on each edge of the rim and gives you a reading at the top so it turns out they are 10 inches wheels after all as the reading on the tool is 10.5 and there's no way the beads are 1.5" thick

wasz said:
chriscoates81 said:
I thought rear hollow spokes only came in 11 inch width and the solids were 10 inch?

nope. Check here: http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

I didn't realise the sport technos were also hollow and even lighter.

The sport technos are a bargain! I've just bought a new set and put them on my C4S which was originally supplied with them but somehow over the last few years they were substituted with solid spoke twists.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back