Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Becker 7820 High Speed Compatibility

Gooey36

Hi all,

Given I'm unable to drive for a bit I thought I'd attempt some sitting down (hopefully) jobs!

One of which is a replacement Becker 7820 High Speed "sat Nav" unit which came in the car (in the frunk!) with all manuals, remote and CD's!

Decided to do some research on how to get it installed and not found a huge amount other than a thread on PH stating it isn't compatible with my '03 year C2 - only pre-02 cars?

Something about optical and copper connections to the amp?

I currently have the CDR 22 (if I recall correctly) with a CD player in the frunk if that makes any difference.

So, in short - is this a no-fit for my car or is there some sort of harness/adaptor which will make it work?

As you may have guess I am not an audiophile so please reply in full laymen-terms! I'm fine with nuts and bolts but electricity has always baffled me!

Have a look at MOST. I think you have a MOST car and perhaps it's a non-MOST HU. There was a Chinese adapter mentioned I think.

The nav is no use and will be woefully out of date now (Becker went out of business years ago).

The sound quality is the same - no better than what you already have.

The only thing "better" is the dot matrix display but its no more readable really.

So its not worth bothering with IMO.

The good news is the unit is worth a few quid on eBay as they were OE on Ferrari, Aston etc people like to fit them to their prestige cars to replace when people have whipped them out over the years.

wasz said:
The nav is no use...

The nav works fine when coupled with a bit of common sense.

I like having it there as a backup, I've been caught out before with a dead phone and not knowing where I'm going.

Ideally I wanted to have a "better" period unit in, with basic Sat Nav functionality (which I've had in an old Merc before so know its functionality reasonably well)

Agreed, the unit will be massively behind say a new MMI unit in my daily but its definitely got a retro charm (put it this way - I'm also on the hunt for a connected phone!!!)

Clearly if its going to be multiple hundreds to "make" it fit, then I agree, its not worth it. For the sake of an adaptor though I'd quite like to have it over the standard unit. As for sound, I was planning on changing the speakers inside the OEM mounts also - not a complete overhaul, just a slightly better sound and functionality (albeit still old!)

Any links to the convertor/adaptor? I've searched for MOST to non-MOST adaptor and got a plethora of results but no idea which one!

Might be time to visit a car-audio centre!
:?

Magic919 said:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/396710-install-aftermarket-head-unit-most-car-without-removing-factory-amp.html

:thumbs:

Will give it a whirl...

Just a quick update...

Turns out the 7820 is a straight swap into my 2003 C2 (which originally had the CDR23 unit in it). Mine does not have a seperate amplifier so makes it much easier.

Only thing that's not swapped straight over is the aerial connection so need to sort that, new GPS antenna enroute and it should be a really simple 'mod".

Glad I didn't have to stump for expensive adaptors to make it work! Loving the retro graphics as well!!

Attachments

• 89093362_dd29_4c55_9e8e_4e93a5a2a8e6_184.jpeg
    89093362_dd29_4c55_9e8e_4e93a5a2a8e6_184.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,600
I (with a bit of help from Jon of this Parish) upgraded my Becker to 2017 maps, it takes a little while to have a think about things, but it's decent enough - I use it as a reserve, and it fits with the period of the car and also allows bluetooth calling from my phone.

Dammit said:
I (with a bit of help from Jon of this Parish) upgraded my Becker to 2017 maps, it takes a little while to have a think about things, but it's decent enough - I use it as a reserve, and it fits with the period of the car and also allows bluetooth calling from my phone.

I thought Becker stopped producing maps? How did you update your Becker (and what model) if you don't mind me asking?

Would love to get this bang up to date but had assumed it was simply not supported anymore!

Becker use the same underlying maps that other systems use- IIRC mine now has BMW maps on it. Mine's a Cascade Pro.

If you have a google you can find "how-to" guides on sat-nav forums (yes, these are a thing!)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back