Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A refit to my 996 C4 - coilovers, big brakes, aero, paint

Great work. Another vote for the seats. Project like yours requires a bit of vision, and your inspiring some of us as well I reckon. Nice job.

Thanks for the kind words

So far a simple suspension upgrade went just a little further, a quick tot up of spend comes to circa £4400 so far. And now doubt there will be more expenditure , tyres for one.

I've had 12 Porsches over the years and never really been in the zone to modify any of them. Mainly I think because it was always frowned upon by some of the Porsche community. And that's fair play to the purists

However, I have always modified my 'other' cars and after a few encounters with Magnus Walker last year it changed my mind.

Each to there own but I am pleased with the way the car has gone so far. It still needs tyres, suspension set up and final cut and polishing.

Attachments

• img_0831_108.png
    img_0831_108.png
    2 MB · Views: 3,259
How are you finding the coil overs, I had these on an Impreza and thought they were decent, I'm still considering them for the C4

Good work on the car

The car is yet to land off of the jacks , so I haven't tested the shocks yet and cant pass comments

For the record I changed the top mounts, springs and the rest of the suspension so I am hoping for a major improvement

Once I get some tyres I'll be out on the road !

Re: A refit to my 996 C4 - coilovers, big brakes, aero, pain

markrnorton said:
So here we go again.

Plan is to fit coilovers all round, GT3 front end , side skirts keep the ducktail and then get it painted.

first off a full set of coilovers to be fitted. I've done this before and everytime I try to strip down the existing suspension bolts appear to be fused into place ! Even the steering arm taper did not want to release today, some heat sorted it, but the taper 'holder' came away as well from the front hub ! grrr

and now the normally solid one, the pinch bolt at the bottom of the shock. nut comes away, but can I move the bolt, nope. wd40, nope, heat, hope. the last time I did this I had to drill it out.

before I go that far does anyone have a trick to releasing the bolt ? apart from extreme violence !

I'll post some pics of progress when I get some

I spent nearly a week trying to get one of those bolts out (spring perch to strut body). I did get it eventually! I used a combination of solvents, pressure and heat, in no particular order. The key is not to do too much of anything in too short a time period, or you will break something. First, I got the bolt to turn which meant I could eventually get some solvent in there. I was eventually able to drive/drift it out with a punch. Throughout the week that I was working on it (not the whole time), I would beat on it a little (the shock helps to get the solvent to penetrate) heat it a little, turn it a little, etc. then move on to something else and let it soak - I was doing the entire suspension (including front wheel bearings), so there was always something else to work on. Good luck

Finally had the car off the mini lift and down on the ground.
Had tyres fitted to the new rims, went for falken fk510's, mid price and have good reviews

With the car on the deck , two thing struck me. Visually the front tracking is out, so I spent an hour with some spanner's and string , got it roughly in line, but will have it properly adjusted tomorrow

Mot tomorrow

Second thing that struck me, it's low, very low. So great!

Had a drive to the garage and filled up with some fresh fuel, car feels very taught now with the new suspension. No squeaks or rattles. Firm but compliant.
Brakes are very progressive, but do lock/ initiate the abs with a firm prod

Let's hope it goes through the mot

Low !

Attachments

• d89bd3ff_2d78_4491_b823_67ef04e53cd6_142.jpeg
    d89bd3ff_2d78_4491_b823_67ef04e53cd6_142.jpeg
    916.4 KB · Views: 1,042
Had a 50 mile drive today.

Passed the mot.

Glad to report that the suspension now feels taught and very 'pointy", I have the BC coilovers set on their softest setting, it still stiff, but not overly. Will see how they get on over time but initially they feel good with all the oTher mods and running on 19" rims

The brakes are awesome, very progressive, and hauls up from speed in a neck breaking fashion. Really impressed

Now just needs a bit more paint, a full mop and the front tracking sorted

Another pic

Attachments

• 889e8513_84b5_467a_bdde_cd60bdac1e61_140.jpeg
    889e8513_84b5_467a_bdde_cd60bdac1e61_140.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 939

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000