Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

M96 Engine Rebuild time

Agreed Infrasilver.

A good underbody jet wash ever spring, followed by some waxyoil or dynitrol or similar should keep things preserved for a while. Including suspension bolts and fixings.

Cheers. Hope it gives others a heads up of what may need looking at on their own cars in the future. Though some will be better.....and some worse.

Hi Ian, thanks for the interest.

Not yet..... We had to sort some pistons, as the originals apparently have some marks on them that indicate "something" has been through the engine at some point.....

No ideas what that may have been and doesn't, I understand, relate to the reason the engine is being rebuilt. I do have some paperwork in the history file that showed a cylinder head had been off in 2005 ish, but nothing to say why.

Pistons may have been reusable, but decided that I should fit new ones.

Hopefully will be back together soon and in before July fingers crossed.

The chassis now has more wax in it and under it than Westminster Cathedral.

Cheers

Got a parcel delivered yesterday.......

vyWbwfc.jpg

From Hartech, all nicely wrapped up............

vuUqron.jpg

And after a few excited minutes:

JMGLAaa.jpg

Just got to get on and put it back together and get it fitted in.

Old exhaust manifolds have seen better days:

2LLjPzM.jpg

Interesting seeing the restriction in the throats of the manifold runners, caused mostly by weld.....

B1xC3vj.jpg

mltHx8D.jpg

Compared with new ones going on:

HzRpGos.jpg

Will keep you updated on progress

Cheers Jim

Now that's what I call a parcel!

Looking forward to seeing the install with the shiny parts!

Thanks for the comments chaps,

Was a bit longer than expected. It would have been back early June, but it appears "Something" had been through the engine at some point in the past. Marking the piston crowns, but not causing any damage to the bores or piston skirts..... no ideas. But the engine is 20 years old so lots could have happened in the past.

LZHvQ9r.jpg

Piston skirts have the Ferrous coating later changed to plastic in later cars. Look as good as new!

YmrLjmu.jpg

Although the marking didn't affect the engine usability or performance, (Still running very well before being stripped and sent for the rebuild) I went for some new ones, choosing to use six new forged pistons from Wossner. These appear to be a good quality forged piston made from 4032 alloy and have tight piston to bore clearance of 0.05 mm.

Cost of new Porsche Mahle ones didn't stack up. I'm lead to believe that production tolerances from new are "variable".

Weight of the pistons is broadly similar I think. Wossner quotes 398 grams, but not sure if that includes gudgon pins and piston rings? The Porsche Mahle ones, together with gudgon pins and piston rings are 544 grams. I weighed one of my Mahle ones without the gudgon pin and it came in at 425 grams.

Anyway, getting hold of the new pistons caused a slight delay.

Spec is as follows:

6 x new Nikasil plated alloy cylinder liners + modify the engine casings.
6 x new forged pistons
1 x Larger sprocket and bearing on a modified IMS
Cylinderhead overhauls inc skim and cut the seats, new valve seals etc
All timing chains, rails, and tensioners changed for new,
ARP big end rod bolts
New Low temp thermostat and new oil pump spring (my request)
New bearings throughout - of course.

I broke out the "little toolkit" (Demort :) ) and started getting it back together this evening.....

HHL3StP.jpg

The exhaust manifolds are being put back on with Stainless steel (304 as 316 is not as strong) studs. Marine grade washer including a spring washer locking system. Brass nuts.

iIzNKhf.jpg

zfyL5Mr.jpg

Comparison with new and old manifolds. The entry hole into the manifold measure 27mm x 42mm on the stock manifold. New stainless one is 33mm x 52 mm. Both use 42mm Outside dia tube. The collector on the stock manifold is around 2 1/4 inch O/Dia. The stainless collector is more like 2 5/8 Inch O/Dia. Bends are a tighter radius on the stainless manifold though.

T1oXF3j.jpg

KKFXlwI.jpg

I'll attempt to add a bit more to this thread tomorrow...

Good progress! What is the screwdriver stuck in the front pulley?

What manifolds did you go for?

Finally, are you willing ro share the cost of the engine build.

Looking forward to further installments :)

Good luck

Ian

Watching with interest! I've just dropped my engine off with hartech last week so awaiting a call with initial diagnosis.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back