Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What is this switch for?

Moodytunes

Hi all

I was having a tidy up inside my MY 2000, C4 and I came across this switch near the footwell on the left side of the driver. I know the switch on the right side is for the spoiler so it's not that.

I emailed the previous owner to see if he know what it was for and he had no idea. I have checked the handbook and there is no reference to it.

I have tried switching it on and off and it makes no difference to anything that I can see. Anyone have something similar or any ideas as to what it could be for?

Attachments

• img_8573_1_163.jpg
    img_8573_1_163.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,734
Looks like an aftermarket switch. So I guess it could do anything.
I have seen them used on aftermarket heated seat controls. Is there another on the other side? Do your seats get hot?

yea thats odd, could be something redundant. Maybe for an after market spoiler, some exhaust button, subspeakers, gosh could be anything.
Could also be a dead switch or spot lamps..
If you really ant to find what its for, have an auto electrician trace the wires and see where they go to.

Kill switch for a laser jammer?

I've seen it on a few 996s. The only info I could find was it's a 12v source to it and is there for if you have a 2nd cigarette lighter socket installed there.

cheshire911 said:
Kill switch for a laser jammer?

I had a similar switch in mine when I bought it, it was for a laser jammer.

I found it mounted in the grille below the number plate.

Good job I had found it as for a few weeks it was "on" after I flicked it trying to work out what it was.

Having seen people get jail time for laser jammers recently, sorry I mean "garage door openers", I was glad to get rid of it. Actually I flogged it on eBay.

Pull the panel and trace the wires.

I also junked an old tracker which was draining my battery.

Is yours a convertible?

Had exact same switch on my 993 which was to turn off the interior sensors for the alarm so it didn't go off when you locked it with the roof down.

Mine doesn't have one :dont know:

Very rare extra. Its the cloaking device.

Thanks all.

It's not a convertible. I will get it looked at tomorrow when it's in for a suspension refresh and other odds and sods.

:mechanic:

Does it switch cleanly to position 1 or is it a rocker ie returns to centre after it has clicked from there? It's possibly a defunct after market alarm switch allowing valet mode.

I have a chrome toggle switch in that location - most likely for a radar jammer as the previous owner had one fitted.

Try both positions and see if the odo stops going up. I found a switch that did that on one of my previous cars!

Alternatively it could be for a smoke machine or oil slick generator!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back