Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help please. Dashboard LCD's not switching off

Update; problem appears to have been solved. I decided to check out the micro-switch on the luggage compartment catch/lock, as the compartment light had stopped illuminating when the hood was open. The amount of crud in there was unbelievable. Anyway, cleaned it all up, reassembled, and the light now works again, and hey-presto, my dash LCD's switch off when the car is locked and armed. I have no explanation for this, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was the cause all along. Time will tell.

Next project is to take the cylinder heads off my Stag to cure an annoying coolant leak, and convert the engine to EFI

Hope it's solved for you, well done in tracking down :thumb:

A stag and a 996, both great cars and both have a certain reputation for engine reliability. You do like living on the edge!

Thanks for your responses. All internal combustion engines work the same - suck, press, bang, blow. Sure the 996 and Stag engines have know issues, but "forewarned is to be forearmed" and if you cannot deal with these known issues, buy a Nissan Leaf

For those of us who do not have the privilege of owning a car fitted with the glorious X50 lump, fit a magnetic sump plug, and dissect the oil filter every oil change, and examine under a magnifying glass. You'll soon see if anything is amiss with your engine before anything catastrophic happens.

For peace of mind I change my oil filter every 2000 miles, and in 20,000 miles of ownership, I've only once found anything more than a micron of silver foil in it. Sure, when the time comes to replace the clutch, I'll do the IMS bearing, but until then, I'm reveling in the ownership of my Porker

I thought I'd solved this problem, but it's back! The darned OBC LCD's have started illuminating again about 20 - 30 minutes after the car is locked and armed, and the OBC stalk on the steering column has again ceased to function in the vertical (upward) plane.

I know it's an old thread, but just reaching out to the community to see if anyone else has had a similar problem in the last 7 months.

Bye the way, luggage compartment light is still working!!

Ive had something similar on a Boxster recently .. this was a battery discharge .. no computer illumination but it was on Fuse B1.

I found that unplugging the cluster stopped the battery discharge so logically i thought it was the cluster ..

However i was concerned something might be keeping the cluster awake .

I was unable to get to an end fix though as the customer is keeping it on a trickle charger rather than possibly paying out for a very expensive instrument cluster .

I dont know if there are places that can test things like a cluster but i feel that might be a way forward .

Fault code check is another .. if you have a code in the cluster saying its faulty ... then it probably is .

EDIT ..

I think i would start by unplugging the computer stalk .. just to see if that stops it .. a stuck switch perhaps.

Fuse B1 is the main power supply to the cluster .

Attachments

• cluster_1_768.jpg
    cluster_1_768.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 1,022
  • switch_1_183.jpg
    switch_1_183.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 1,022
maeowenti, did you find the culprit in this?
I have a cluster in for repairs with the same problem. SOmetimes it does nor shut down as expected, and dometimes wakes up and stays on during the night.
All the best,
Tore

I saw a video on Youtube of a guy who'd traced the problem to the trip reset button or cluster brightness button, I can't remember which... basically it was stuck in, and once he'd released it the dash lights turned off as normal.

A long shot, but worth a look?

Thanks. I saw a post on the Rennlist mentioning the same. In my case, it was a faulty input circuit for the OBC stalk, one of the switch inputs was damaged and always active, keeping the cluster alive.
Cheers,
Tore

Ah... glad you found it, and another thing to add to the list of things to check if the same fault occurs.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back