Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Speedster Turbo Bodied - Gorgeous

At the Silverstone Classic - a couple of subtle changes!

G

I somehow missed the boat on this thread and it's the first time I have read it through.
I have seen the car before, but didn't realise the amount of work that went in to it.
It really is awesome. I love the stance of the thing with both the hood up and down, and the wheels look just perfect.

Feel completely depressed about my own car now. :nooo:

What a great thread! Just read,start to finish. Does graham still,own it?

I've not seen him (lives just down the road from me) in a while but saw him in Wilmslow driving it last summer so I guess so :thumbs:

Not sure what number plate he has on it now as I last saw he swapped this one on his F488 ... what a stunning car :)

Hi everyone
Just a brief updated after 8 years of continued ownership!
Yes - I've still got my 993 Speedster, and have no plans to part to company, despite a few offers and enquiries over the years!
2 years ago we decided to embark on 'another' epic project, bought some land that used to be an animal sanctuary (!) and had built a rather large garage with suitably large detached house :lol:
The Speedster has been moved from various storage locations as the rental house we're currently residing in has limited parking; we will all be reunited in the new place within the next month! The driveway contractor is about to lay the tarmac and the building contractor is clearing his tools & crap out of MY garage!
Reg plate is still the same - the F488 was wearing 11 GPM
Cheers Graham.

So its you!!!

I was often frequenting 9m back when your car was being sorted, I know Wayne reasonably well so was in getting my car tuned now and again. I saw your car in its naked state a few times.

Was it also the beginning of the 9m Speedster production run they did? Did you start the ball rolling with this car as an idea? I've got to say after sitting in the orange one they did, the workmanship is superb!

Speaking of which, would you mind telling me where you had the seats made? The ones in the orange one were the most comfortable and supportive seats I've ever sat in. I'd love to have some made for my turbo.

Superb thread, can't believe I've only just seen it after all these years!

:thumb:

Yes it's me!!
What happened was, I was after a 964 Speedster, but the prices had just started to go ballistic, so I had a conversation with Marc Clowes, who was at the time, business partner at 9M about buying a 964 Cab and converting that into a Speedster.
Using the PET system and with guidance from MC we went through all the body sections that differed between Cab / Speedster.
I sent the list to Alistair at Porsche Centre Wilmslow, and he checked with Porsche Germany as to what parts were still on the shelf since the production run back in 93/94.
Unbelievable most parts were still there but in very limited numbers!
Then, incredibly, a guy contacted (I think) Chris Clarke from Porsche Club about some parts he'd imported from LA Dismantlers to do the very same project; but due to ill health, had decided to sell them.
A deal was done and I bought the Speedster doors, hump and frame, hood assembly and the all important windscreen with frame.
The project was live, and time to hunt for a suitable donor cab.
THEN - Marc had a brainwave and phoned me one evening and said 'if we're going to do a 964; why not do a 993 instead. Same amount of work, but on a newer car". The 964 centre tub is exactly the same as the 993 - Porsche 'special wishes' (the predecessor to Exclusive) had made Butzi and Jerry Seinfeld 993's so why can't we!!
Hence the hunt started for the 993 cab........9 months later the first 993 Speedster S rolled out; the rest, as they say, was history.
Number 2 car was Arena Red (JJP from California - we still regularly keep in touch)
Number 3 was White car (àrpád from Hungary; again still in touch)
Number 4 was Riviera Blue (Sids from USA; he'd been following my build and again lots of email exchange)
Number 5 - the last before MC departed from 9M / the Tangerine car.
So yes - mine is the Granddaddy :)
The seats are the standard Porsche Hardbacks, just retrimmed, in my case in Nappa Leather with Alcantara centres and heated seat elements
Graham.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back