Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Phase 1 of C4S Refresh Complete!

jaykay127

My 996 C4S is a daily driver, it is used in rain, sun, sleight and snow! I was thinking it was about time I either sold it or spent some money on it and got it back to it former glory and started really loving it again.

It was time to spend.

Phase 1: Mechanical and running gear.

The clutch had started slipping and it had a bit of an intermittent misfire, rough idle, exhaust blowing tyres near limit and the brakes were in need of attention.

Took the car to Jasmine, about a mile down the road from me and requested a clutch and major service plus tyres new exhaust for a start. The major service comes with a comprehensive full vehicle check which will help down the line.

Collected the car this evening and what a difference!! Heres what they did.

1.Clutch (Flywheel needed replacing too)
2.Major Service
3.Brake fluid
4.Front and rear discs and pads and extras
5.Oil filler neck
6.Fit Designtek SUPREMACY SS back boxes
7.Replace rear brake pipes
8.Replace heatshields
9.Fit new gear cables
10.Prop shaft donut
11.Fit 2 Michelin Pilot Sport on the back
12. Replace brake fluid.

Came in at just over £5000

The exhaust sounds incredible. I did a lot of research on here amongst other places and nearly went with a Milltek system but decided to go for the Supremacy with the pre installed Gundo hack and wow, what a noise. With the new gear box cables and the clutch and flywheel it drives like a new machine, the new brakes are great too although there is still an issue when pulling to a stop, under 5mph the ABS kicks in for the final few feet. This is suspected to be the ABS pump and will be looked at a bit further down the line (any assistance as to other causes greatly appreciated)

Asked about the RMS and was told that there was the smallest of weeps on it but as it had been in for over 100,000 miles now it will be lubricating its self and is nothing to worry about.

Was advised that the bushes on the suspension system were all tired and the tuning forks would benefit from being replaced and that the arches were all showing the signs of the start of corrosion.

Phase 2 will comprise of a full suspension over haul, again any recommendations are welcome. Thinking of either poly bushing it or buying EPS or alike!?! And probably an ABS pump replacement.

Phase 3 will be bodywork and styling/finishing touches (possibly GT3 style seats, Alcantara wrapped Steering wheel and possibly some summer Fuchs wheels.

Going to have to save up for a few weeks before phase 2!!!!

Keep tuned for more updates.

Looks great. The suspension overhaul will make you think you have a new car and make you realise (if you don't already) how much the work was needed.
I had similar done to mine and the difference was obvious even to an average driver like me.
Keep us up to date :thumb:

Sarfend said:
Looks great. The suspension overhaul will make you think you have a new car and make you realise (if you don't already) how much the work was needed.
I had similar done to mine and the difference was obvious even to an average driver like me.

Thanks for the kind words. Out of interest what route did you go down for the suspension?OEM, Aftermarket or polybushes?

Did you not have the outer seal removed from the IMS bearing? No brainer whilst the gearbox was off.

They like charging top $$ at Jasmine. Everytime I've enquired about cost of stuff my eyes have watered.

Bet the car feels/sounds awesome after all that work though. :thumbs:

jaykay127 said:
Sarfend said:

Thanks for the kind words. Out of interest what route did you go down for the suspension?OEM, Aftermarket or polybushes?

9e replaced all four lower wishbones, lock nuts and an outer tie rod so not a full refresh but made a huge improvement to the ride. They used OEM part no. 99634105316 for the wishbones and 99634713104 for the tie rod.

Great job as always

Worth considering rear engine mounts and gearbox mount insert as well. Not expensive for the parts and very easy work with a noticeable difference on a higher mileage version.

ABS issue could be one or more reluctor rings corroded or split. You can buy these separately, around 15 quid each.

Which pilot sport did you fit on the back? 2's or 4's? I'm wanting to replace my fronts soon with 4's but can't seem to find anywhere that does a big enough 4 in the rear and i'm reluctant to go for the 2's given they're an 'old' tyre.

Must be great with all that work done, mine too is high mileage and i'm sure a refresh in areas would be noticeable but either way I love the thing.

With the list of other stuff you have planned it's going to be an absolute beauty.

lewisf182 said:
Which pilot sport did you fit on the back? 2's or 4's? I'm wanting to replace my fronts soon with 4's but can't seem to find anywhere that does a big enough 4 in the rear and i'm reluctant to go for the 2's given they're an 'old' tyre.

If you have a C4, you need the same rolling radius of tyre front and rear. Mine's a C2 so I don't have that issue, as a facelift car is came with 285/30/18 s on the rear, mine had 285/35/18s when I got it, Pirelli Rossos. I wanted to move to Michelin and, like you, wanted the new PS4s. I really considered 275/35/18s but Chris form Excel wheels thought they would look wrong and I got PS2, they ride better than the Pirellis even though they are lower profile. The same day (!!) there was a post on here from someone who has fitted the PS4s with the blessing of Centre Gravity and I would probably have gone that way if I had seen that posting first but I'm ok with what I have got.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back