Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ten years today!

acme

Incredibly it is ten years today since I picked up the 993 from Kim.

Girlfriends, homes and jobs have come and gone but the 993 has been consistent.

Largely due to this forum she's had pretty much every upgrade, repair or mod you can think of, I even gave in and got a wiper widget (thanks Steve!), though the saggy pocket liner was a step too far!

Talking of Steve (Citori) a massive thank you goes to him for all his advice, and most importantly work on repairing/modding her whilst I tried (& often failed) to be his labourer!

Long may my custodianship continue!

And here's a pic on the big day of me and the mate who helped me on the initial journey to find one. As you can see from the 'amendment' he made to the pic safe to say I was pretty happy that day!

Cheers

Gavin

Attachments

• gav_993_c_180.jpg
    gav_993_c_180.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 2,674
I'm 8 years this month, these things really get under your skin!

There are a lot of cars I still want to try but I just know I would eventually regret selling the 993. The newer faster stuff appeals but honestly I think around 300bhp and rear wheel drive is a sweet spot on modern roads as you can actually use some of it and not get locked up!

Either way congrats, I'm just glad I bought when decent cars could be purchased for under 18k!

Happy anniversary! Isn't a 10 year anniversary 'tin'? Perhaps a sign to check the state of the chassis legs :grin:

Cheers fellas :thumb:

They certainly do get under your skin, I've come to the conclusion years ago that it's irreplaceable, so I moved & am building the garage of my dreams to accommodate it & others!

Chassis legs got opened up about five years ago not long after it became apparent on here, there's a thread somewhere. They weren't too bad, no holes, but were repainted & treated. Hopefully as she rarely sees rain they should be fine.

If you knew Dave you'd know he's as far removed from him as possible. Suspect his wife would agree too!

Congrats! :thumbs: How many miles have you covered in those 10 years?

acme said:
Largely due to this forum she's had pretty much every upgrade, repair or mod you can think of
Do you have a list of the upgrades/mods to share? Would be cool to hear your top 3 in terms of best value/performance, along with any regrets too...

Congrats Acme..
I wouldn't be surprised if it's still a regretful sale for ole Kim, what a cracking car.
Here's to the next ten.
Kim, haven't seen you post in a while, hope you're well mate.
Rgds
B

ch3tman said:
Congrats! :thumbs: How many miles have you covered in those 10 years?

acme said:
Largely due to this forum she's had pretty much every upgrade, repair or mod you can think of
Do you have a list of the upgrades/mods to share? Would be cool to hear your top 3 in terms of best value/performance, along with any regrets too...

Almost 22k, so not huge amounts, and less so over the past couple of years as she's spent much of the year in storage/relatives garage whilst I've been building the new garage.

Top two is an easy answer; light upgrade to HID's etc, this is simply for safety, how on earth 993's left the factory with the standard lights is beyond me! I've an 80's car too and they're so much better.

Exhaust next, I've got Gert's RSR's, they're perfect for what I want, just the right volume/noise combination, and make a huge difference IMO as compared to standard.

Third one, that's more difficult, perhaps strangely I wouldn't say suspension (see later) but perhaps regular leather feeding of the seats! Sounds daft and I'm sure most do it, but I'd say with regular feeding my seats are in better condition than when I bought her.

As for regrets, not doing the suspension earlier. I didn't notice a night and day difference (FSD's & new springs), but that's in part to my monroes not weeping etc. However as it's so often discussed I should've done it earlier to enjoy it for longer, in fact that's my general advice, do mods etc sooner rather than later, that way whilst you own the car you get longer enjoyment. Obvious I appreciate.

Mods etc;
HID's
Check strap repair - though I knew this when I bought her
Condenser replacement
Ballast resistors
Continental stereo - well worth doing as finally with DAB I can listen to the radio - not that I do of course as I listen to the engine!
Chassis legs
FSD's/springs/poly bushes
Wishbones - hartech exchange with standard bushes
Front screen rust & removal
Caps & leads
2 batteries
Lots and lots of nuts, washers, grommets etc
Wiper widget

As well as countless shows etc I've been to Le Mans/Classic four times in her, including 2012 to the Classic with 911UK, 14 of us in 10 cars!

^ thanks for taking the time to post the detail :thumbs:.
Totally agree on the HIDs, especially for those that use their cars :).

Nice list of improvements - including some big ticket items - looks like you're all set for another 10 years...
happy motoring! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back