Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cheap turbo

Absolutely, if engine/gearbox checked out fine it has to be a good buy, problem I have just now is storing my C4 for the time being until I decide what to do with it if I was to follow up on the turbo.

Locosaki said:
I've been in touch with the guy to try and get some info good or bad. I'm not really any further forward but still giving it serious consideration. I should imagine 5/6k would need to be set aside for repairs.

Only thing that would concern me is the home servicing. Does the Owner have any receipts for the service parts for the services that were done by the previous owner ie oil filters, oil, spark plugs etc. If you have a look at the porsche official checklist for servicing a 996tt, you will see apart from the various oil changes and various filter changes a lot of the other items are just basically visual checks. I would also have the car ppi to make sure everything else is fine such as radiators, oil leaks etc. If you had to spend another 5 or 6k fixing it it would not be worth while financially, it would be extremely hard to sell on.

e92 said:
Locosaki said:
I've been in touch with the guy to try and get some info good or bad. I'm not really any further forward but still giving it serious consideration. I should imagine 5/6k would need to be set aside for repairs.

Only thing that would concern me is the home servicing. Does the Owner have any receipts for the service parts for the services that were done by the previous owner ie oil filters, oil, spark plugs etc. If you have a look at the porsche official checklist for servicing a 996tt, you will see apart from the various oil changes and various filter changes a lot of the other items are just basically visual checks. I would also have the car ppi to make sure everything else is fine such as radiators, oil leaks etc. If you had to spend another 5 or 6k fixing it it would not be worth while financially, it would be extremely hard to sell on.

Off topic, but how do you find a turbo compared to an e92, i'm thinking of going the other way to a bigger car.

NickHappy said:
Run out - certainly will, cheers Adam :thumb:

I presume it's you on the FB group Nick?

Have you seen that car in RSJ? Looks stunning in that colour.

plynchy said:
NickHappy said:
Run out - certainly will, cheers Adam :thumb:

I presume it's you on the FB group Nick?

Have you seen that car in RSJ? Looks stunning in that colour.

What FB groups that plynchy?

Porsche owners UK :thumbs:

plynchy said:

Good group. I've organised a few run outs on there.

Have seen the RSJ one Plyncy - a smidge above budget unless you know something I don't :?:

NickHappy said:
plynchy said:

Good group. I've organised a few run outs on there.

Have seen the RSJ one Plyncy - a smidge above budget unless you know something I don't :?:

I've obviously got more cheek than you :grin:

I'd be tempted to have a look and re-visit your man maths :thumbs:

chriscoates81 said:
e92 said:
Locosaki said:

Off topic, but how do you find a turbo compared to an e92, i'm thinking of going the other way to a bigger car.

If your 996tt is completely stock then the move to an e92 m3 would be an alright in terms of speed. As an overall package the m3 is a very good capable car. The engine is amazing especially when revving out to 8k rpm. I sometimes miss the high revving v8. The only issue with the m3 is it won't feel like a sports car like a porsche does. It will feel quite a lot bigger than the porsche. Put it this way when I had my m3 I knew one day I would get rid of it, but with my 996tt in its current state, I know I will never get rid of it unless of course something unforeseeable happens. If I was you I would take an m3 out for a test drive. Just remember it likes high revs :thumbs:

e92 said:
chriscoates81 said:
e92 said:
Locosaki said:

If your 996tt is completely stock then the move to an e92 m3 would be an alright in terms of speed. As an overall package the m3 is a very good capable car. The engine is amazing especially when revving out to 8k rpm. I sometimes miss the high revving v8. The only issue with the m3 is it won't feel like a sports car like a porsche does. It will feel quite a lot bigger than the porsche. Put it this way when I had my m3 I knew one day I would get rid of it, but with my 996tt in its current state, I know I will never get rid of it unless of course something unforeseeable happens. If I was you I would take an m3 out for a test drive. Just remember it likes high revs :thumbs:

Noise is something I'm looking forward to as the turbo is a bit too quiet (nature of the car unfortunately). I do need a bigger car tho, I realise its going to be a more comprised car as its based on a family car. I'm sure the kids will love, I can see it now, let's go in this multistory car park and see how many alarms we can set off :D . Also my wide thinks my cars too hardcore so on long distances I do all the driving, I'm hoping an m3 with dct gearbox will be OK for (I am actually slightly concerned she'll like it more than her focus st :p ).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back