Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Urgent help Oil pump

Well there's nothing wrong with the oil pump or oil pressure relief valve.That tiny amount of wear would have neglible effect.

Like others have said you really need to fit a temporary gauge. This would allow you to see if there's actually a problem with the oil pressure or if it's an indication problem.

If it turns out to be an actual oil pressure problem there are a few things worth checking. Firstly check there's nothing restricting the oil pick up in the sump. You also need to check there's no way air is being drawn in between the pickup and pump suction eg if the pickup was loose , secondly it would be worth checking/replacing the oil filter in case it's failed internally and thus causing a restriction.

Other than that an internal leak after the pump but before the location of the oil pressure sender is a slim possibility . I'm not familiar with the oil galleries in the m96 engine so don't know if there are any plugs for example which could pop out causing an internal leak but would say it's very unlikely!

HTH Mac

Many thanks for taking the time to respond Mac, when I get a few moments I'll have another check over the car and hopefully find the problem ;)

Found the problem.

Funny thing is I have practically removed the engine and replaced a few components now and in reality it could have been a 5 minute job and very cheap.
Basically the oil filter has failed. I have been very lucky in that there is no further engine damage. Having looked at the filter I fitted at the last oil change it would appear I fitted a cheap filter that doesn't have the internal integral plastic frame which would have prevented this problem. So let this be a lesson to anyone not to fit anything other that a quality filter. Luckily I only use Millers Nanotech oil and change oil every 500miles or so.

Here is how the filter came out (completly closed up inside)

27145285337_d558b0c673_h.jpg

And here is the internal frame inside the better quality filter:
27145284577_7e4989a29e_h.jpg

Great to have saved 15K or so on a new rebuild I was fearing but still about £500 spent and a good few hours faffing around. Can't wait to get it all rebuilt now and finally get to drive the car properly for about the first in around a year ;)

Great news ELA. Bet you had a relived smile when that came out... What was the brand of filter? Just so we can avoid if possible.

PHEW Richard....good news at least

OMG that's really good news being such an easy fix and bloody annoying at the same time having lost use of the car for such a quick and cheap job.

Lucky you took Skoda to Dinslaken though mate as that could have been very expensive if it all went wrong.

Not that we could keep up with you anyway :drive: :thumb:

'Luckily I only use Millers Nanotech oil and change oil every 500miles or so"

Hi Richard, isn't that totally over the top and a waste of top quality oil?
Surely 5,000 miles would be more than sufficient (although it has helped you this time with the defective oil filter)

911munKy said:

Surely 5,000 miles would be more than sufficient (although it has helped you this time with the defective oil filter)

I use Millers oil and changed at 6k. I sent some oil to millers for analysis, and they said leave it in re-sample after another 10k...... I think lots of Porsche people change oil too often. Me included...

911munKy said:

You are indeed correct Munky, the mileage number was somewhat misleading though, I change oil every year regardless of mileage and it just so happens that over the last 2 years or so with the project the car has accumulated very few miles sadly. Also as I've been doing so much work with the car I've probably drained the oil 2-3 times in the last year alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back