Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Radiator fans, quick question

IanG1

Quick one, when I turn on my aircon neither of my fans run at slow speed? Is most likely problem the resistors, checked the fuse and OK. Need to pull the car out to check the relay.

You need to give it a min or so .. if neither work then the fan resistors are the most common failure .

Both fans run seperate relays for low and high speed .. for it to be the relays then x2 have failed .. a little unusual shall we say .

both of my resistors had gone. But who knows how long the previous owner had left it with one gone. They also had a left it with a leak in the aircon so it wouldn't turn on and operate the fans anyway.
Replaced the a/c pipe with the hole, got it re- oiled / gassed and both resistors replaced (with genuine). 3 years on and all still spot on

Cheers guys, very helpful thanks

Ian

Am I right in thinking you could join terminals 85 of the low speed and high speed relay holders to effectively run the high speed fan at the lower temp without the need for a ballast resistor?
Thanks

Also if doing this would you need to cut the low speed/temp feed to the ballast resistor to avoid two power feeds going to the fan?

Would like to simplify the system and if it can run the fans at high speed only so cooling quicker without the need for ballast resistors then surely that's a good thing?

You could .. but when you turn on the A/C the fans would run at full speed .. in fact when ever the low speed cut in it would run at full speed .. you would end up with over cooling .. more so with A/C turned on as it runs continually.

Bear in mind there is a temp operateing range for optimum efficency of an engine .. this way and it would be too cold ... also not sure how long the fans would last if run all the time at full pelt .

It wouldn't be as efficient to run with fans at full pelt all the time but I wouldn't be worried about overcooling - at 70 mph you're putting a lot more air through the rads than the fans will. Plus if you do start to overcool, the thermostat will just start to close and reduce the water flow through the rads.

Yeah I'm confident overcooling would not be an issue, fans maybe slightly loud in slow moving or stationary traffic with a/c running. I'll prob stick with the standard setup for now but good to know it can be done. Thanks for the replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back