Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel Bearing?

Have finally had the time to start looking at my top mounts. I ordered the Sachs mounts and got the strut bearings delievered from my local OPC.

Thought I was all ready to go, but have hit a snag.....my spring compressors wont fit the springs... Am I missing something?

Issues seem to be:
1) I have to put the first compressor on with the nut at the top, otherwise there is too much thread sticking up and it hits the inner wing
2) I can only get a compressor on one side, the other one wont fit at all
3) Struggling to get more then one coil of the spring between the jaws of the second spring compressor and then, it wont compress anyway, as the jaws are already touching each other.

Am concluding my current spring compressors won't work. What make/model of spring compressor do other people use?[/list]

Attachments

• 15256343619550_508.jpg
    15256343619550_508.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 3,162
You may be able to get it out from the arch without compressing the spring here.

Remove and support brake caliper
Undo lower ARB connection (top bolt will be seized!)
Loosen coffin arm bolt
Undo top mount 3x bolts
Loosen shock top bolt

Push down on hub and you should just be able to swing the strut out

pic05.jpg

Then you will have more room to get a compressor on.

I used the dangerous single hook type compressors

Tbh they aren't under much static tension...

When we changed the top mounts and springs on the 996 we didn't need to use spring compressors, as Wasz said virtually no tension. Just do it on the ground and take reasonable care.

Thanks Both - really appreciate the help.

Have managed it.....on one-side, will do the other another day. Think its time for a cool beer!

Wasz you were correct the top bolt on the drop-link was seized in the carrier (the nut came off, but I couldn't get the bolt to shift in the carrier). I dread the time I need to change the shocks - which will come soon, judging by the appearance of mine.

The springs weren't under much compression. However I managed to fashion an alternative method to compress the spring (was about to break out the mig and construct something decent, then I remembered I had all this bar). So I was able to change the mount with the strut still in-situ, rather than swinging the strut out. Which was lucky, as I couldn't get a socket onto the coffin-arm bolt. Am guessing its 18mm. Helpfully my spanners were 17mm or 19mm. As its a new coffin-arm, I didnt want to damage the rubber bush by twisting it.

Attachments

• 15256968248610_199.jpg
    15256968248610_199.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 3,046
Excellent!

When I removed my struts, I ended up splitting the ball joints and taking the strut+hub to the bench and pounding the top ball joint bolt out.

I hear the thing to do it is to heat the arb ball joint up till the plastic melts, remove the ball joint outer. Put a deep socket over the remains and spin with impact gun while smacking it out. Heat helps to get it moving.

Your shocks look ok, buzz off and por15 will smarten them up if they still work well.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back