Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Funny experience at Porsche West London Yesterday

APL911

I thought I would share my experience of Porsche West London yesterday.

First of all, it's a lovely place now. I really like the new show room and service centre. Great job.

I was greeted by a very beautiful girl, she was checking people in at the front door and sending them to reception or over to service. I'm sure it was pure incidental that she was a real looker.

Anyway, in I go and have a coffee. I waited around 15 minutes for my sales guy.

We were going to be discussing the Cyaman GTS. The conversation started with the fact that the factory is closed until October, so if I wanted to specify a car it would be around six months.

I told him my concern on the new Cayman was the four banger, and told him one of the reasons I have a Porsche was for the sound. This is where it starts to go wrong.

He insists we start up the blue GTS they have in their showroom and runs off to get the keys to prove me wrong...

We start it up and OH MY GOD! It sounded like a tractor from the 1920's. He let it run for around 20 seconds, and then turns it back off with a rather sheepish look on his face. HE then told me that as it had been sitting for a few days, it would sound like as all the oil has drained from the top end....

It was really really bad. It did him no favours in waylaying my concerns over engine sound.....! :floor:

Think I'll stick to a 911.

...... you seen and heard the future lol ...... but not for me :)

Lol, there is a MASSIVE thread going on on PH about the whining over the 718 sound. Of course I have been impartial :grin: but it is truly horrible.

To be fair its not helped by the preceding 981 GTS being one of THE best sounding cars Porsche (or anyone else) has ever made :judge: But they could have done a much better job with the engine :roll:

Ps they are selling well in China though :floor:

APL911 said:
We start it up and OH MY GOD! It sounded like a tractor from the 1920's. He let it run for around 20 seconds, and then turns it back off with a rather sheepish look on his face. HE then told me that as it had been sitting for a few days, it would sound like as all the oil has drained from the top end....

:floor: so basically he showed you how band it sounds 99% of the time during ownership..I.e not used for a couple days Unless you use it as a daily....I bet that demo never happens again :frustrated:

Brilliant, the poor salesman probably had his commission spent before you even arrived :floor:

jonttt said:
To be fair its not helped by the preceding 981 GTS being one of THE best sounding cars Porsche (or anyone else) has ever made :judge:

How does the GTS sounds different to the S variant if they both have PSE :dont know:

Different, Sir!

The GTS has an extra length of 'vulcanised elephant blurter' attached to the inlet manifold (I think). Check the PET if you want to see what this strange pipe looks like. Porsche called it a 'sound symposer'. I had thought it changed the sound just in the cabin, but I think it extends to what others can hear too. Not everyone wants more engine noise in the cabin, but in the GTS it is difficult to escape.

I'll demonstrate next week :thumbs:

To the OP - sorry to go off topic. You were talking about 'bad sounds'

:oops:

Well sound is subjective. What i was talking about was the fact that it had no oil in it and sounded like a rattly old tractor. Because it had been sat for so long, it sounded very broken.. :roll:

There are a lot of people that dont like the sound of the 718 but im afraid its the future , Porsche have to hit emissions targets so the 4 cyl is whats needed .. wait till it becomes a V4 :)

Ive yet to see one in the flesh though .. downside of not being in an OPC anymore .. sigh .

It is helping to push up the prices for the 981 !

I think the sales guy has probably learned his lesson though :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back