Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' - SSK solid bush/bearing

Good man, looking forward to it.

Thank you kind sir :thumbs:

Received mine today :lol: alread fitted and adjusted!

Big improvement over my worn sloppy original.

Thanks for the quick turnaround alex :thumbs: top job!

Thank you kind sir. :worship:

Hi Alex
Thanks for responding to my PM.
My only worry on SSK's in general is the potential to make first gear shifts tricky/notchy/stiff as some find the standard throw item just that. Have you had any experience of your fix affecting previously smooth shifts - as mine is? Is it a given that the shorter throw can never help in this regard? Would reworking of the original std shifter be the best compromise for those looking to avoid notchiness at all cost?
I must say that I think your price is very fair so its just about smoothness of first-second-first changes now.
Scholester.

I'm currently working on doing the standard shift with solid bearings.........watch this space.

alex yates said:
I'm currently working on doing the standard shift with solid bearings.........watch this space.
I will hold out and await the outcome of this Alex. I have the aftermarket SSK in a box so will have a choice!

Scholester said:
alex yates said:
I will hold out and await the outcome of this Alex. I have the aftermarket SSK in a box so will have a choice!
I think you will be onto a winner re-engineering the standard shifter. :thumb:

Apologies to everyone waiting for me to supply stuff. My Phosphor Bronze got lost by the courier so I'm currently waiting another lengh. Will be in touch soon.

Alex incase anyone missed my review in the 997 section heres a copy of it for this thread.

Alex mate its everything I was hoping it would be the feel of the GT3 shifter with the bolt action clean crisp gear change and the advantage of it being a short shift , This option is not available from Porsche and IMO its what we call an OEplus mod which it a mod thats better than what Porsche put on the car and would suit both "modders" and "keep it stockers". there is nothing negative about it no added vibration or noise. I love it

Quality stuff, Alex. I've not driven Osh's car but the gear shift action at stationary is rifle-bolt sharp so I expect it drives brilliantly on the road.

I also enjoyed the pictures and videos of the engineering process. Quick question - how are the bushes self lubricated? Are they impregnated with oil or something, or is it just a property of the materials?

Cheers
Mark

The bearings in the centre shaft are Oilite bearings - these are bought to size off the shelf but the length of them needs machining to suite the SSK.

More info on oilite here:

http://www.bowman.co.uk/bearings/oilite-bearings-self-lubricating-bearings

The outer bushes are custom made and can't be sourced so I make them out of Phosphor Bronze bar as it's an excellent bearing material and easier to source than Oilite bar. The Phosphor Bronze does need light lubrication for this application so I just smear an amount of grease on the brass shafts and and bushes, but due to the use (ie. light movement backwards or forwards when changing gear) it's not like a high speed spinning shaft (crank for example) that needs constant lubrication.

More info on both here:

http://www.getyourbearings.co.uk/oilitephosphorbronze.html

Still waiting on my Bronze. Supplier's let me down twice. Don't want you thinking I've forgot.

SSK finally fitted today, brilliant upgrade gearshift is precise and actually better than I expected, easy swap over also using the guide.

Alex, thanks mate :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back