Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

05 Cayenne Head Units

Cayenne007

Hi guys,

My PCM unit has decided to work on/off whenever it wants.

This may just be the battery connection etc, if it is not and my PCM needs refurb, it may just be easier in the price range to buy another used PCM or a complete new unit and heres where my question is:

I have seen after market android head units on ebay for cayennes around £300, would these cause any isssues electronically on installation and have you ever seen one installed?

Link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Androi...609807?hash=item4194759bcf:g:DvkAAOSwZFdaeVBd

another question actually lol,

also, the branded head units that halfords sell, are any of them compatible with a cayenne and how difficult can they be to install?

Cheers guys , hopefully the mod can move this if it's not in the right section , sorry in advance .

Dominic

I did post a similar thread myself...

From my own research, those Chinese android units are garbage. They seem to do a lot, but in reality are unreliable and the sound quality is poor. I met someone with the more expensive Dynavin unit and he said he had to keep pulling it out of the dash to pull the power plug as it kept freezing.

I decided to replace my PCM with another second hand one. One day I'm going to figure out how to update it to the latest maps :lol:

The previous owner replaced the PCM in my vehicle with a Sony head unit. Its this one. https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-w651bt
Its certainly a tidy install and sounds good to me. You can pair with NFC and make calls. Using a Sony app Songpal gets SMS notifications and voice control, but I've not used this yet.
No NAV, I think thats an extra module.

Attachments

• img_20180424_133010_209.jpg
    img_20180424_133010_209.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 3,403
thanks chrali, that's awesome. I'm assuming Halfords or anybody like that could fit and install this? or somebody with more knowledge?

Yes any competent car audio place should be more than able. I'll leave it to you to decide if Halfords fits that description lol .

Upsides for me is primarily bluetooth streaming, downsides are that your steering wheel multi function buttons wont work (at least mine dont). Also you lose some PCM functionality. One example is the fuel consumption stats, I can only select the average mpg to show in the dash lcd, whereas the PCM showed more stats at once.

The headunit seems to be £250+ and about another £250+ for the nav module if you want it and then you've got to factor in labour costs for fitting, so not exactly the cheap option.

If the previous owner hadn't done it, I probably wouldn't have at that price. Luckily they did and I've just found the NAV module was fitted, so I'm happy on that score :)

I'd be interested in knowing what you decide to do.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back