Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone done a DIY cab roof install?

Alex
I can vouch for the tightness of the roof when new. We purchased a 2002 MX5 which came with the hardtop. The previous owner never took the hardtop off so the soft top was a struggle to close as it was effectively brand new even though it was a 4 year old car.Once you get it all sorted, leave it in the sun if possible to help the cloth to release the tension.

:popcorn: another one watching this. the pressure is building.

This is probably no help at all, but for what it is worth.....
Our 986 Boxster came with a plastic rear window that had been re sewn in at least once. So when it began to tear free from the fabric again I started to look around for options to get it back to looking good.
Eventually after a heap of looking about I just bought a full replacement hood and frame from a written off vehicle and swapped the entire unit over frame and all.
That got me a glass/heated rear window, nice blue mohair for a reasonable £325 and a Sunday afternoon practicing my best swearing on the driveway :D

So getting a complete assembly from a written off vehicle is definitely an option worth exploring, I think.

alex yates said:
I'm still flumaxed about splitting the headliner from round the rear window. It's like one continuos zip all the way round. :dont know:

Erm .. have you got a plastic rear screen or a glass one ??

Also what does the roof have that you ordered ?

peterzoom said:
This is probably no help at all, but for what it is worth.....
Our 986 Boxster came with a plastic rear window that had been re sewn in at least once. So when it began to tear free from the fabric again I started to look around for options to get it back to looking good.
Eventually after a heap of looking about I just bought a full replacement hood and frame from a written off vehicle and swapped the entire unit over frame and all.
That got me a glass/heated rear window, nice blue mohair for a reasonable £325 and a Sunday afternoon practicing my best swearing on the driveway :D

So getting a complete assembly from a written off vehicle is definitely an option worth exploring, I think.

Would a much newer 997 roof fit a 996 :?:

997 roof wont fit a 996 .

@ Alex .. after a bit of searching .. if you have a glass rear window and you are swopping it then tool below is needed ... but i think you have a plastic rear screen ?

Attachments

• tool_1_137.jpg
    tool_1_137.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,653
New top arrived today. Screen is plastic and crystal clear :)
Had a quick look and the zipper is all there ready to zip my original healiner to, but I'm still a bit dubious about unzippping my original headliner from original soft top. Got a 3 day weekend and nothing planned so may attempt to fit my new top weather permitting. Can't wait to get it on but at the same time mega nervous about doing it. I know what will happen, I'll start tinkering with my old top and before I know it pass the point of no return and will have removed the old one and be left with no option but to shove the new one on. That's the bit that concerns me most - attaching the headliner.
Can't believe how small a package it was when it arrived today - nothing more than an oversized pizza box.

Wish me luck! :saw: :help: :mrs: :splat:

Good luck Alex and lots of piccies please

Osh

I feel physically sick! :(

gN3xxRc.jpg

B1SOXQu.jpg

D1L8Vyd.jpg

Don't bottle it now. You're half way there.

At least you have a full weekend of decent weather to get it finished. Worst case hardtop goes back on till next weekend?? I'm sure it will be done before beer o'clock this evening though.

I'm feeling the anxiety!!!.... but you still have 2 days to go, you can do it :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back