Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

944S 2.5 16v resto then track project

infrasilver said:
In the Summer months I do fancy organising a 911uk weekend in North Wales with a track day at Anglesey's circuit to finish off.

I`d definately be up for that matey :grin:

Alex can bring the tea /coffee again, we can chip in and get him a pax ticket :thumbs:

I presume you`re not going to be putting that tyre softener stuff on your new boots when you get them :nooo:

kurlykris said:
infrasilver said:
In the Summer months I do fancy organising a 911uk weekend in North Wales with a track day at Anglesey's circuit to finish off.

Alex can bring the tea /coffee again, we can chip in and get him a pax ticket :thumbs:

I presume you`re not going to be putting that tyre softener stuff on your new boots when you get them :nooo:

Me too! :thumbs:

kurlykris said:

I'd used the last of it on those tyres (I've been using it for over 20 years mainly for drag racing) but it didn't affect the blown tyre as it was a screw in the tyre and then when it deflated the sidewall collapsed as it was being driven on at some MPH, tyre softener only goes on the tread.

kas750 said:

I'll try to organise a date that does clash with an Anglesey track day and start a thread off. I already have some decent routes around the North of the country.

kas750 said:
kurlykris said:
infrasilver said:

Me three :thumbs:

In that case, I'll bring some of Kirsty's homemade soup & bread too. :thumbs:

Tyres now fitted and it was on 996 parts collection duties on Friday afternoon, it really is a quick car now and puts a smile on mine and other peoples faces when it's out and about.

40556612125_52cfd3ef5e_c.jpg

I'm going to book it in for a rolling road next to see what horsepower I have managed to gather back from the 163bhp before the engine was rebuilt.

I have now booked a rolling road for Saturday morning and apparently there is a Skoda group test in at the same time, I'm sure there will be plenty of dump valve noises. :roll:

In advance of this rolling road session I wanted to know how much weight I had lost by removing most of the interior and fitting bucket seats. I found a local weighbridge and it tipped the scales at 1270kg (with almost a full tank of fuel), 25kg lighter than a standard car. I will couple this with the bhp figure I get to calculate what the bhp per ton is.

Bargain to get the car weighted, £8.

41813853752_e4e02cdd94_c.jpg

1270kg, quite light if the bhp is in the range of 190?

40957967215_a91975dc09_c.jpg

Finger crossed all my engine work has paid off, update at the weekend.

I have realised now the 996 is running better than it has been, that I only have a short window to sort the 944 out and working before Oulton Park RS Day.

The last time I drove it I was heading to Brands Hatch for the 911uk track day in August but didn't make it further than 30 miles before it started to run hot, this was the second time it had done that in two days so I got it recovered home.

39900647873_26f15aecf9_z.jpg

The header tank was pressurising leading me to think cylinder pressure is getting into the coolant system.

Looking back that was over 5 months ago and it had been just sat under a cover on the side garden waiting for some attention. Its not turned a wheel in this time.

32978545678_f4ed4afcf9_z.jpg

It has had a habit of not making some track days and with it missing the last two RS Days I'm hoping it'll be third time lucky :roll:

I had to give the rear brakes a light tap to release the handbrake and as I had noticed that coolant had been seeping into cylinder three I am hoping it is just a head gasket job rather than a cracked head.

32978550288_0fcdb2622c_z.jpg

The head gasket should be straight forward but if the head needs work it'll mean someone else doing the work and this is where most of the time will be taken up = (wasted).

I was amazed to see it start up without any hesitation and considering that it was only on three cylinders and the last time was 5 months ago, was quite happy.

This is a video from when I first found coolant in the cylinder, :eek:

I pulled the spark plug to make sure it didn't hydrolock the engine.

After getting it in the garage I started to tear down the engine to get to the head but when I pulled the cam cover off I have also noticed coolant in the oil as it's gone a milky brown colour. I was hoping it was just coolant getting into that cylinder but there is more work to do now.

46813360772_d8474d959a_z.jpg

39900696393_850891b9ea_z.jpg

I have it pretty much stripped, apart from setting TDC, removing the cam chain. cams and cam belt then pulling the head off ready for inspection. Fingers crossed for just a gasket issue, either way the head will need a skim if there is enough meat left on it? :dont know:

So anyway, start the clock ......... 8th of March you say :mechanic:

Let me know if you need something I can help with. :thumbs:

I'd love to see this wizzing round Oulton!

Yes.....FOC if I can.

I can do that too :oops: :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back