Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4 v C2. Desirability & Values

g911omr said:
Jackzi said:
For those interested in raw performance data, here's a side by side comparison between the C4 and C4S:

http://www.zeperfs.com/duel307-419.htm

Interestingly, the C4S posts marginally better acceleration times despite the weight penalty. It's also faster round the track at Hockenheim and Vairano.

Is that because of the turbo brakes and suspension (-10mm, the equivalent of the M030 IIRC)?

Those figures make no sense at all.
Heavier wider car is faster.... I doubt that.

Does seem odd that the 4S is quicker in straight line acceleration, and in contrast to manufacturers own data... though on a track the 4S might have more grip due to sports suspension, bigger wheels, wider track, stronger brakes allowing the driver to carry more speed into a corner.

I've had both C2 and C4, settled now with a C4 as I find just that little bit more planted and stable.

And I also prefer the narrow body cars

Probably an age thing !

One problem is that opinions will vary depending on what sort of state the example is that a person tries.

Any car with tired suspension and in need of a geo will feel ponderous and will not be a fair comparison with another more sorted example.

wasz said:
The front struts on a c4 are set at a different angle to the c2.

That must make a difference.

It does. They wear out quicker. :D

mmm desirability levels on the 996 for me would be in descending order;

996 GT3RS
996.1 GT3 Clubsport Red/Yellow/Zanzibar
996 GT2
996.2 GT3
996 Turbo S
996 C4S
996.1 C2 aero kit Red/Yellow/Zanzibar
996 C2
996 C4

C4 has a stiffer shell and that is why they used it in the narrow body gt3

NLW73 said:
not sure why you would need a C4 in this country? get a c2 with winter tyres and you can go anywhere.
I would have thought the UK is a perfect place for a C4, it's 4WD is for slight loss of grip due to rain, sluch, wet leaves ect, not so you can go off roading.
Porsche engineers obviously thought there was a need for it & I trust them far more than my understanding which is dependent on how many coffee's I have had.
Its all irrelevant now as I doubt any of us would walk away from a C4 if we were looking for a 996 & a well sorted C4 with history popped up at a good price.

if you want 4wd do it properly and get a land rover. or a modern SUV

I just don't see the point or need in such a sports classic. I lived in Germany for years and saw many 911 C2s, RWD BMWs and Mercs have no issues in the rain, sleet, snow and god knows what weather with winter tyres. if you have not tried them on a 911 in the snow they are a revelation. you can pretty much go anywhere. been to the alps in thick snow on winters and with some chains. no need for 4wd.

an RS4 is different as its an Audi (love to understeer like a cross channel ferry - martin brundle, SKY F1) and they have sold millions of cars on the Quattro brand. plus its a big barge estate cruiser with a thumping engine and you can put the dog in the back with shopping and family. awesome all round car.

NLW73 said:
if you want 4wd do it properly and get a land rover. or a modern SUV

I think we need to draw a line under this one. :judge:

2wd, 4wd, manual, tiptonic, PDK , NA , turbo , GT .......

911s are fortunately available in lots of lovely flavours so there's one to suit every Porschephile.

It's all down to personal preference.

T8 said:
2wd, 4wd, manual, tiptonic, PDK , NA , turbo , GT .......

911s are fortunately available in lots of lovely flavours so there's one to suit every Porschephile.

It's all down to personal preference.

Dead right Terry, interesting how many owners, like me, prefer their own car but also, like me, didn't really consider all the alternatives and bought a car that appealed at the time......

When shopping for a 996 i tried several C2s and a C4, but not a C4S. I prefered the steering feel of the C2, and I'm ***** about weight, so when I got my C2 M030/LSD/Aero car I was over the moon. I believe this flavour of C2, when without a sunroof(mine does have one unfortunately) to be the most desirable of the C2/C4 from a driver's point of view, however, those that value a great rear end will rightly prefer the C4S.

I also totally get the comments about the C2's front end being less planted, and I'm constantly modifying my car to improve that situation, with geo, tyres, and removing as much weight from the rear end as possible. It's all slowly coming together, and I'm sure that compared to a totally stock C2 of the same year it's already a big improvement.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back