Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sport Design Steering wheel

Merlint4s

Looking at purchasing a 991 C2S , it has the MFSW standard, is it easy enough or can a Sport Design Steering Wheel be fitted in replacement ?
Just wondered if anyone has done this upgrade ?
Thanks

Yes, a straightforward change.

If you want to go the OPC route, they will relieve you of £959 for the privilege.

DRZ911 said:

If you want to go the OPC route, they will relieve you of £959 for the privilege.

Thanks , is that Wheel & fitting all in ?

Merlint4s said:
DRZ911 said:

Thanks , is that Wheel & fitting all in ?

Yep, best quote I got was 858 notes all in. However I fitted mine myself as several others have done (second hand SDW for 490 quid) Its a very easy DIY job. (997 and 991 essentially the same).

I recently bought a 997.2 PDK and as part of the deal i was to get the Sports Steering wheel still waiting cos they are on back order apparently...

Having the standard wheel is not the deal breaker you might have thought. Mine came with the basic wheel and I immediately investigated costs for the sport design wheel. However I find the paddle switches in the basic wheel very easy to use and am keeping the wheel as it is.

blackram said:
Having the standard wheel is not the deal breaker you might have thought. Mine came with the basic wheel and I immediately investigated costs for the sport design wheel. However I find the paddle switches in the basic wheel very easy to use and am keeping the wheel as it is.

Each to their own, but im sure after 10 minutes with the paddles youd never want to use the awkward buttons again! :nooo: The SDW also raises the interior to a different level.

Sport Design Every time

Looks so much better
and the paddles give a far better driving experience

If it hasn't got one I fit one to every car I buy,

It's getting hold of one for a 997.2 PDK with Sports Chrono that's the problem...unless someone knows a source?

Pcar_101 said:
It's getting hold of one for a 997.2 PDK with Sports Chrono that's the problem...unless someone knows a source?

Either a 991 wheel new (same) or a second hand one off t' the internet (I fiited a 991 turbo one to mine, cost me 490 notes)

Youre problem is at an OPC (if available) they will say a 991 wheel is the wrong part (but it isnt)

My 991.1 PDK has Sport/Sport Chrono with an MF wheel, which I'm not minding anywhere near as much as I thought given I had the paddles in my previous PDK. However, I would snap one up if I came across a deal.

Design911 have the wheel for around around £700, but they say a steering column switch (I guess to replace the mf aspect) and control unit is also required (I emailed them my chassis number), which with VAT brought the whole package up to around £1500 :eek:

This dosent sound like the simple jobs referred to, and Mark, I can't see that you'd be that keen to add £1500 to the cost of the cars you retail, so does what d911 say stack up or can I keep an eye out for a wheel for £500 and not worry about all the other gubbins?

No I don't want them, if they're not really needed, I can live with turning the volume up and down and going through the menus via the pcm, but my concern was that the control unit is also required for the the sport, sport plus LEDs to light up on the wheel as it should. Wheels for sport/sport plus cars are part number. 99104440001A34

That ebay wheel has been for sale for a while so an offer might work, no indication if it's a sport/sport plus wheel, would need to ask the seller all these questions :?

MJA911 said:
No I don't want them, if they're not really needed, I can live with turning the volume up and down and going through the menus via the pcm, but my concern was that the control unit is also required for the the sport, sport plus LEDs to light up on the wheel as it should. Wheels for sport/sport plus cars are part number. 99104440001A34

That ebay wheel has been for sale for a while so an offer might work, no indication if it's a sport/sport plus wheel, would need to ask the seller all these questions :?

The lights didn't work on mine, but ive a feeling that's because mine was the pre 2010 model, ie the multifunction wheel without PDK written across the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back