Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

315 or 295 on Turbo

I had PS2's on my RS6 over 10 years ago, they didn't blow me away back then but then the big Audi is no sportscar!

Just my 2p...If you're running the 315/30 rear it's highly recommended to use 235/40 front so the ratio stays right.

I don't personally agree with newer tyre design = better. The biggest driver behind tyre tech is eco rules on noise/emissions etc, e.g. reduced contact patch and I'm sure also cheaper production costs, whereas older tyres don't need to meet the same regs.

Whilst the PS4S (opposed to just vanilla PS4 which is marketed much cheaper for the mainstream) is a great tyre it's only an evolution of SuperSport, which is 8 years old, and based on user feedback I've had, whilst great, the SS isn't necessarily better all round than the PS2.

What is great though is Michelin since Jan have massively dropped prices to take share back from Conti across the market (despite Conti not remotely close to Mich when it comes to Porsche drivers/buyers). They're now the cheapest I've seen in 9 years not even factoring inflation!

I am pretty sure Michelin did not make the super sport in 18s as they were a great tyre and would have been awesome for a 911

Same as the PS4s and it's not around in 18s yet and not likely to be

As cars get bigger and heavier the brakes need to cope too so hence the wheels get bigger from the factory so 18s are pretty small these days. I think the 911 starts at 20 inch rims these days

Around choices then it depends on what your usage is... a cup 2 is a great tyre for summer but compromised in the wet. The ad08r is a great tyre for dry and wet but very hard sidewalls and they can be noisy

I would go ps2 or Pirelli. Not a fan of Conti as found them too hard

sim996 said:
Martian said:
PS2's came out around 14 years ago, I'd try something more modern, maybe PS4, even Super Sports are an 8 year old design (I have them).

PS4 on 18's?

Mine's a 996.2 C4 on 285/35/18 Pirellis, it came with them. The 35s make the speedo run true and probably give a slightly softer ride, no good on 4wd cars though.

I'm looking to change and have considered 275/35/18 PS4s, the nearest PS4 that is available.

maldren said:
sim996 said:
Martian said:
PS2's came out around 14 years ago, I'd try something more modern, maybe PS4, even Super Sports are an 8 year old design (I have them).

PS4 on 18's?

Mine's a 996.2 C4 on 285/35/18 Pirellis, it came with them. The 35s make the speedo run true and probably give a slightly softer ride, no good on 4wd cars though.

I'm looking to change and have considered 275/35/18 PS4s, the nearest PS4 that is available.

That's a typo I assume saying you have a C4? And assume you mean the previous owner fitted 35 incorrectly as they never came like that new. 35 profile looks awful like a tractor...the 275/35 is going to make that even worse. I don't get why you wouldn't fit the correct size.

Interesting comments Chris, yes C4 is a typo and yes the previous owner fitted 35s.

The only reason for going with 35s would be to fit PS4s rather than PS2s, various reviews say they are far superior, you probably know more than most and I would appreciate your views. My choice now is probably between 285/30 PS2s and 275/35 PS4s. I then also have the question as to whether it will be ok with Pirellis on the front and Michelins on the back as the fronts are too new to change yet.

However I don't think the 35s look too fat, actually I suspect most people wouldn't notice the difference.

A different direction..,

To me 315 for 420bhp seems excessive. GT2 RS only runs 325 for 700bhp.

Do you really need the extra width over a 295?

sim996 said:
Sarfend said:
305s for me.

What make, sidewall and wheel diameter?

Apologies I am talking bollox. Mine are 295 30ZRs 18" Michelin

I've had the car 7 years and only ever used Michelin. No complaints from me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pazz
Back