Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Velvet red C4 - newbie with questions

Hi Stephenjk

Yes, same car. I had it inspected by Peter Morgan's company. They found the oil leak too. Had it fixed before buying.

It's since been checked out by Precision Porsche (not far from me) when it was MOT'd and serviced. All good.

I also got Parr to give it a general omce over too. They found an issue with and replaced the four wheel drive cylinder as leaking fluid, they also replaced the master cylinder when replacing the brake fluid.

Other than the spoiler playing up, it's been reliable.

Hi Ozzyz

Thank you.

I'm rapidly parking the idea of a colour change based on these conversations. The more I read and hear about rust the more worried I'm getting. Was hoping to put the work off a year, maybe two so we could get the house finished. Maybe not...

Crikey. Dint know apthe interior was that much. Have you found anyone good to do it?

Hi there,

Nice car :thumb:

A few thoughts:

- Personally i wouldn't do a colour change unless you are keeping it for a long time and hate that colour. To do it properly needs the entire car stripping.

- Brakes - I have "Hawk" pads in my C4 and i drive keenly, they're a semi track pad without the noise and they stop very well. Certainly plenty enough power. They were originally sourced through eBay, iirc I think they're american.

I do also have a full set of 993 callipers and fancy discs in stock but just haven't felt it necessary to bother fitting them yet. A friend has this set up on his car and the stopping power is insane. This is without the 993 master cylinder. In my opinion you need to run semi slicks to really benefit / justify that upgrade.

- Interior costs vary dependant upon what you want doing. The most recommended person will be Dave @ Southbound who will have a year + waiting list and at the top end numbers wise. I am having my front seats and a few other bits done currently by Linas @ LS Designs and they're looking very good. Personally i think you'd struggle to spend £6-8k, more like £4-5k for everything which invariably you won't need.

- G pipe. Personally I did not like the sound, more like a subaru sound than an air cooled to me so i settled on a cup pipe which removes the primary silencer and sounds right to me - I also have a sport cat. The G pipe is cheap mind and certainly sounds raucous!. Both are an easy change if you've some spanners.

As to the C4 platform, I initially really didn't like it but once it's tightened up, geo changed and new suspension it then starts to shine. And in the wet it's a very impressive Tool.

Enjoy :thumb:

Morning Stimpy

Thank you. Pretty much parked the idea of a colour change. Me wanting a riviera blue may just be the start of my midlife crisis... Will have to sell the children and save for a GT3 to tick that box. I'm still considering the sunroof and wind indicators delete though.

Thanks for the pad info. Will defo have a look into these. They seem to have a few fast road options now.

Found a thread on PistonHeads about Design LS - looks good work. Thanks for the tip. You'll have to post pics of the work you're hav8ng done by these guys.

ChrisBChips is kindly sorting me out a G pipe. I've not heard eithe the G or cup pipe combo, sure both are an improvement over standard. I do like the idea of removing weight off the rear most part of the car, but excitied to try the G setup.

I know you already dismissed colour change but for the record here is my experience. I bought my 964 with the idea of colour change to maritime blue, but once I got into the nitty gritty of doing a proper bare chassis job and costs involved then I decided to stay with original colour, expect to pay over 20k for something like this.

Windows our respray is not cheap either, indicator clusters, reflector & old rubber trim doesn't look so good against new paint and then there is also the small fixings etc so be prepared to spend over 2k for these parts.

You have several options for roof, best & most expensive is new no sunroof skin from Porsche. Used to be 1500 then bumped up to 3000 and even then Porsche didn't have any in stock. Next option is to find an old roof, at the time I did find one, you basically fit just the top skin and not the pillars as is the case with a new roof. Other option is a new metal insert which is probably the cheapest way, some say the bonding point can be stressed with time, specially if not done right or subjected to track use - you really want someone who is experienced at this and knows what they are doing. Fenn Lane seem to be the to go to guys and they sell the panel too - IIRC it will cost 800 or so if they fit it including cost of panel of around 200 (incl jig).

My old 964 had refurbished standard C2 brakes and I was very happy with them, my new 964 came with big blacks on front & RS on rear with standard MC but it wasn't as good when purchased. Found out that from big blacks were fitted upside down so corrected it and installed new rigid pipes, didn't refurb the calipers but gave them a bit of tlc and fitted new pads on rear. Difference was night and day. Never driven a C4 but before spending on caliper upgrade maybe good to give the whole system a bit of TLC and do pay attention to old piping too!

I would keep my powder dry for the respray as a 5k quote could easily turn to a 15k job if there is more under those bubbles.

Hi Mondrian

Thanks for the message. Have you ever seen the seals sold as a bundle? I've looked on a few sites and there are dozens of individual parts. Guess I will call one of the sellers and ask them. Yes, can seep how all this adds up! My rear lenses and centre are more pink than red too. I did see that someone had revived theirs with wet and dry. Was going to give that a go before replacing.

Thank you for the roof info!! Unlike Porsche to rip the ar5e out of something based on demand... will make a note of Fenn Lane. Thank you.

Are the big blacks the same as Chief mentioned off a 928 S4?

Yes, body work unknowns are a bit of a concern. I either need to start playing to lottery or this has to wait until next year - suspension, wheels and tyres were this year's big expense. The house needs some love now sadly.

Just thinking aloud, has anyone here used Precision Porsche for bodywork?

If so, any good?

I thought 928S4 had medium black brakes which are smaller than big red/Black. Big Blacks are off 928 GTS and are trailing mount whereas big reds are leading mount but same caliper. 964 needs leading mount so the trailing mounts need to have the bleeds and feeds swapped, when i got my car there were not!

I don't think Porsche or anyone else does a rubber trim bundle as it depends how deep you want to go.

Seen pics of a really nice backdated 964 done by precision Porsche but not up close.

"My rear lenses and centre are more pink than red too. I did see that someone had revived theirs with wet and dry. Was going to give that a go before replacing. "

On this, if you look at rennlist there are also films for sale to bring the lenses back to red. Quite a few people have used them and reported they are still looking good years later. Given the expense of replacements I'd try that first.

I've never found my 1993 C2 brakes lacking and drive my car pretty hard on North Yorkshires country lanes. Have you checked for plate lift in the callipers as that could hinder pad movement etc.

Thanks Mondrian.

All seems a bit of a minefield to me at the moment :)

I'll ask my local PCGB if any members have used Precision Porsche.

Stephenjk said:
On this, if you look at rennlist there are also films for sale to bring the lenses back to red. Quite a few people have used them and reported they are still looking good years later. Given the expense of replacements I'd try that first.

Thanks Stephenjk. Will definitely look into this. To be honest, I've not really read too much on the Rennlist forums yet.

hot66 said:
Have you checked for plate lift in the callipers as that could hinder pad movement etc.

Morning Hot66
Forgive my ignorance, but how would I check for this? Just a case of pads out to see if the plates are loose?

if you take the pads out you might be able to see .. basically you get oxidisation between the calliper body & the plates the pads sit within .. this oxisidiation can cause the plates to 'lift' and restrict the pad movement ..

read this on Jackals blog

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/968cs/968_platelift.htm

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back