Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DAB interference

acme

Sao Paulo
Afternoon all,

I've been using my iphone mounted on a cradle by the interior mirror along with a dashcam app as a temporary dashcam.

Now the cars back out of storage I intend on fitting a proper dashcam, but have noted that when charging the phone it interferes with the DAB radio signal, I have one of the Continental ones often discussed on here.

Now I suspect this isn't a specific issue with the 993, but on my daily driver with manufacturer fit DAB and running my dashcam off the 12v there's no such interference. Is it the aerial mounted on the inside of the windscreen?

Any thoughts/solutions? I'd rather avoid hardwiring it if possible.

Cheers :thumb:

How are you charging the 'phone? If using an adapter plugged in to the cigar lighter socket that could be the problem. I bought a budget adapter and it caused interference on my FM radio. Replaced it with a quality Scosche branded adapter and all quiet again.

Playing around at home with a 1 million candlepower Cree LED bike light I noticed it interfered severely with DAB reception from several metres away. So check any LED lights you may have fitted too.

Before I am flamed for using a potentially dazzling bike light - its only used on deserted country lanes in the wee small hours. (Google FNRTTC if you really have to know).

First thing to try is a decent quality car charger. If you can find a non OEM one that is marked Made For iphone that would be my suggestion failing that line Apples pockets for a genuine one.

Otherwise good old analogue FM radio works quite well.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it's the cigarette lighter adapter/cable that's causing the issue, as soon as you plug it in the DAB signal constantly drops. But agreed another car charger should be checked.

With my intention to get a dashcam I don't want to find the same issue.

As for FM signal, as ever due to the integrated aerial in the screen signal is almost negligible, the DAB element sorts that.

The of course I mainly spend time listening to the engine and the RSR's :grin:

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it's the cigarette lighter adapter/cable that's causing the issue, as soon as you plug it in the DAB signal constantly drops. But agreed another car charger should be checked.

With my intention to get a dashcam I don't want to find the same issue.

As for FM signal, as ever due to the integrated aerial in the screen signal is almost negligible, the DAB element sorts that.

Though of course I mainly spend time listening to the engine and the RSR's :grin:

An alternative would be to try fitting a ferrite to the output cable of the charger to supress the interference, you want something that works around 220-230MHz, if that doesn't make any sense stick with trying a better quality charger.

What kind of USB charger adapter are you using? Could be good to know to avoid the same problem.
Cheers,
Tore

It's the one from a power traveller multi kit allowing multiple devices to be charged from the 12v.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomiNozka
Back