Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery issue - advice please....

rob_p

Suzuka
Hi all.
I used my car today (997.1) after a week away. It started ok but sounded a little sluggish when it turned over.
It often sounds like this after a few days of not driving it.
I then did a short 10 minute journey to drop someone off. When I arrived we were early so I turned the engine off and waited for less than 5 minutes, radio was on but no air con or fan etc.
When I went to start the car again the battery was completely dead - the engine wouldn't turn over at all.
I was on a slight hill so managed to bump start it and drove home.
When I got home (10 minutes) I turned the engine off, waited, and then restarted it - which it did (bit sluggish but ok).
Battery is a Bosch s4 which is put in - c. 4 years ago.
Any thoughts please.... battery or alternatotor? Is there an easy way to tell which?
Could it be anything else?
What surprised me was that it started again when I got home - that might suggest the alternator is working, but how was the battery dead part way through my journey?
Thanks in advance.

You could make some checks with a voltmeter. Or stick the battery on charge and see how that goes. Be aware that car batteries tend to give up quite suddenly.

Once started, you should be able to turn on headlights and accessories and the alternator will sustain those if working ok.

Has the earth strap been replaced with the uprated one? It was a Porsche TSB and many were replaced as part of a service at OPC.

The battery could be dead or on its way out of course. But the earth strap issue is well known. Take it to an Indy or OPC who can check if you gave the uprated one.

You need a battery check , charge check and a discharge check done .. any garage can do that and it will tell you what if any faults you have .

A discharge is what im thinking atm .

A short journey with a pretty flat battery wont put much charge back into it .. not running and radio on will be takeing out charge as well .

There are other things that it could be but once the above is checked youll know whats likely to be the fault and wether anything else needs checking ...

Ie startermotor , Positive pin etc .

Thanks for replies.
I charged the battery yesterday.
Battery is now reading 12.7 volts and when running the battery is showing 14.0 volts. Revving the engine makes no difference to the volts.

Www seems to suggest it should be more 14.7 volts??

Does that suggest alternator?

TIA.

I didn't some digging from previous posts and found some helpful advice here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=battery&start=0

Based on this advice (thanks demort) I get the following results
At idle - nothing turned on - 14.0 volts
With everything electrical I can find to turn on - 13.5 volts

I am wondering if maybe the battery was just a bit flat having not used it much for a couple of weeks....?

S5 is £100 and 10 minute job to fit... good Insurance choice maybe?
Alternator is a bigger job albeit reconditioned units are c£150 so not overly expensive and bound to need doing at some stage.

If there are any further thoughts I would like to hear them - I will try and get to a garage this week for a proper test!

Dont go down the alternator route just yet , the readings are what i would expect from a good alternator but ...

The cars volt meter is not very good .. you check these things with a voltmeter on the battery .

Also .. dont just throw a battery at it .

As mentioned .. a battery check , a charge check under full electrical load and a discharge check is needed .. depending on whats found there is wether you look further .. there are a couple of other things but we start with the basics .

It may well be the battery was a bit low on charge and just needs a trickle charger on it .

This is not an expensive check at a garage .. trust me .. we know what we are doing and can advise accordingly :D

Thanks demort - just for clarity, all my readings were done with a voltmeter on the battery. I didn't realise the car had a voltmeter....
If it's through the PCM that went a while ago!

Aghhh sorry young man .. downside of working on all Porsches .. i forget what is fitted to each of them .. no volt meter on yours .

If tested at the battery with a voltmeter and all electrical loads on then your alternator if spot on where it should be .

Battery check and discharge check is all thats needed .. may well just need to recharge the battery .

Thanks demort.
I have had it on a trickle charger for the last couple of days.
Used the car today and it seemed fine.
Slightly odd episode....

In what I suspect is related to my flat battery when I used the car today after a short 30 minute journey through traffic when I arrived the front radiator fan was going at full blast.
I left the engine running and jumped out to see what was happening - drivers side fan was on full blast - you couldn't feel the air blasting out, on the passenger side - nothing that I could feel.
A quick google would suggest that there is a problem - either the fan controller or passenger side is stuck (debris) - and the drivers side compensates by coming on at max speed.

Can't help but think this will be related to my battery issue.
Any thoughts or experience on the fan problem?

its a seperate and very common issue ..

Ignition off , actually key out ..

Wheel on a full lock and use a long thin screwdriver to get at the fan blades throught the front arch liner grills .

Move the fan a bit back and forth , you will feel the debris jamming it .. keep working untill you can flick and spin the fan .

If you have a gravel drive then get used to doing this .

The reason is the fan is variable speed so it often runs very slow .. it doesnt clear stones etc which quickly build up and jam it .

EDIT ..

The car knows when one side is not operateing so it runs the other side full speed as a safety measure .. thats the clue to one side inop .. you can hear it !

Thanks demort.... top man as ever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back