Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

981 Spyder insights?

I'm sure that's a lot smpler than a 987 Spyder roof. Or have I missed something :?:

It would do my head in and end up with the roof up more than you would with a full auto roof. Being able to drop the roof in the boxster at 40mph means you have much more flexibility.

Compare it to this :grin:

https://i.imgur.com/A0DV3fa.mp4

deMort said:
When a post has few answers then i try and answer with anything i feel might be of a little use ... i hate it when a post goes pretty much unanswered .

Makes me smile when it gets several posts after that .. a bump if you like :)

I missed out saying " when they first came out " i was refering to 987 .. same roof basically .. my bad .. trying to answer too many posts in too short amount of time :(

Im sure as an owner you get used to the roof .. as a mechanic who sees one once in a blue moon .. its a faff :)

Haha - yes there is a knack to the roof - the biggest labour is folding it up to put it away without creases.. being slightly *****, I could often spend ages...rolling it, undoing it, re-rolling it! With practice, it gets easier and quicker for a perfecvt result!

I think the Spyder is a whole different proposition to an ordinary Boxster.

More power
Cool bodywork
turbo rack
big brakes
and probably a bunch of other things

Much though I love my regular beastie - I have a strong longing for a Spyder.

The fact it is less practical bothers me not one jot :)

Oh and you will no doubt all know this, but I only found out recently: the Spyder and GT4 get their own PET catalogues - they are not included with the regular ones for the Boxster or Cayman.

tim993 said:
I'm sure that's a lot smpler than a 987 Spyder roof. Or have I missed something :?:

It is a simpler process, the thing is in one piece whereas the 987 hood isn't and has levers for tensioning, more to do, so you'd think it would take longer. Apart from the automation, given a BGTS hood has carbon panels etc., I'd imagine it's somewhat more civilised than a Spyder hood.

I think you're right, the Spyder is a different proposition, it comes over to me as squeezing in to a gap between excellent track oriented cars like GT3/GT4 and excellent road oriented cars like GTS by offering some of the sense of occasion and visual impact of a GT and retaining much of the usability of a GTS.

Hi OP,

The JZM car maybe my old one I had. I heard they had sold it twice now. If so, I had it from new & spec'd the car. I absolutely loved it. Like you I have had a raft of 911s & fancied something different. If this is my car I spec'd it with sound package plus but no nav - it has all the nav buttons but not the nav sofware which can be retrofitted. Don't tell them I said this but if you really wanted the car & the nav was a deal breaker they would do it for you at no cost I'am sure. Tbh I didn't fit the nav as IMO its pants as its the older gen nav. Its a great b road car - lots of fun. The roof is no hassle when you know how. I ran it for almost a year & regret selling it. I wanted to tick the 997 turbo box - but made a mistake & got a tip rather than a manual. I missed the stick & noise of the Spyder & sold the turbo after only seven months & now currently have an Aston V8VS manual which growls like an angry lion. Loved the Spyder & wouldn't rule out owning another in the future.

Many thanks for that Andrew!

MJA911 said:
I'd thought it was the GT4 that was the limited run version

Well - it isn't as if you could just call your dealer and order either of them, but in general: nope - quite the reverse. A common misconception due to the amount of noise made by all of those who couldn't get a GT4, but they brought about 600 GT4s into the UK in the end and less than 230 981 Spyders. Neither are spectacularly rare by Porsche standards (in context there were only 106 UK spec examples of even the 996.1 GT3) but it is the Spyder which is the rarest of the Boxster/Cayman family.

MJA911 said:
tim993 said:

It is a simpler process, the thing is in one piece whereas the 987 hood isn't and has levers for tensioning, more to do, so you'd think it would take longer. Apart from the automation, given a BGTS hood has carbon panels etc., I'd imagine it's somewhat more civilised than a Spyder hood.

I think you're right, the Spyder is a different proposition, it comes over to me as squeezing in to a gap between excellent track oriented cars like GT3/GT4 and excellent road oriented cars like GTS by offering some of the sense of occasion and visual impact of a GT and retaining much of the usability of a GTS.

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back